Needing Help With Bunk Board Size

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Baker2

Reaction score
I just replaced the two short bunk boards on my Nitro 170DC trailer and need to replace the two long bunks next. The boards are 2 X 4's and have been on there for a while, but they seem to be strained when the boat is loaded on. Should I put 2 X 6's on instead? Does anyone know if these trailers came out with 2 X 4's or 2 X 6's? I don't want to put the wider boards on and it cause problems trailering the boat at the ramp. I just bought this boat a few months ago, so I'm still learning about it. Thanks for any insight.

I have a 95 Stratos (18', with a 150hp Merc on it) that has all 2 x 4 bunk boards. They work fine. Given the size of your boat (looked one up on the net) and the pic's of the trailer that I saw, I would think that the 2 x 4's would be the way to go. Bigger is not always better.

What specifically is 'straining'?

Tex

Remembering that loading your boat on the trailer should be closer to "the boat settling down" on the bunks vice "the boat driving on" the bunks, one should not see any strain at all. TT's question is a good one.

The straining that I mentioned is the two bottom boards are bending in the middle with the weight of the boat. It could just be that the boards are weak. Thanks for the advice.

Johnny

I read that but I'm not smelling what you're cooking. The bunk attachment points are sturdy and fixed; at rest they should be supporting the lion's share of the boat's weight. Think about it, if you fixed a 2x4 at the ends, like on a boat trailer, and then you stood on it in the middle--it would bow.

The bow just looks like a lot more than it should be. I've not owned a ton of boats, but my last one was an old K-Kraft 19 footer and was a lot heavier than this nitro and I didn't see any bow in the bunks, but it had 2 X 6's, not 2 X 4's. That's why I'm inquiring about using 2 X 6's.Thanks

I also own a 96 170DC RC Edition and have just refurbished the bunks on my trailor which had 2 x 4's on it. I notice the same problem you havd yet could not find a good explanation for it outside of a little groung to top of bunk difference. Barely a 1/4 of inch. I went back with 2 x 6's laid flat to give a better riding surface with two short and two long setting the pitch and ground to top of bunk height based on the inner boards. I set my trailer level before taking measurments on both trailers. They seem to be doing great and equally are taking the same weight. I hope maybe this can be of help. Good LUCK!!!!

I have the same rig and replaced the bunks this year and yes there is some bowing in the bunks (2X4) and its normal!!!

good fishing

Ron:D

Thanks for the info guys. I know that some bow is normal, but this just seemed a bit much. I'll replace them this week.

TIP...when you carpet the boards, don't carpet the bottom. It will let it drain faster and keep the boards from rotting prematurely. My boards have been on for four years so far and absolutely no signs of rotting. The carpet on the bottom will hold water.

Back