Lower unit removal-2004 Merc 25hp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
By any chance has anyone removed a lower unit from a 25 hp Merc (2004)? I have the four bolts undone and it separates about 3-4 inches but the shift rod is holding it. How do I release that rod? I looked under the carb and can see the rod move as I shift but can't seem to find out how to release the rod.....any help would be appreciated. thanks,kenny

kenny i dont know much about it but i say you have a clip with a pin under the carbs.here is a link that might help you.

http://www.outboard-motors.us/lower_units/

I did it on my old 50 horse. I'm not sure how to describe this but I'll give it a shot... The shift rod comes down out of the powerhead and extends down into the lower unit. You will see what I'm talking about if you stand back at the motor and have somebody move the shift lever. It had two nuts that tighten against each other. You could separate the two halves of the rod by loosening the nut. Not sure how close an '04 25 is to an '01 50 but they couldn't be that much different.

Also, if I remember correctly there was also a bolt or a nut under the torque tab/sacrificial anode just above the prop. Once again...not sure of your particular situation.

Good luck.

This is a link to step by step instructions for changing the water pump on most Mercury outboards. I found it several years ago when I had a 50hp and it helped me then so I saved the link. I have also referred to it while changing the water pump on my 115hp Mercury and it was pretty much the same.

Larry
http://bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm

Thanks guys and I did find the release latch under the carb. I just put it up on my work bench where I could get a good look around and with a bright light and a few minutes, I found it. kenny

Latest posts

Back