Lower Unit Oil

• Thread starter William Kleindienst
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Kleindienst

Reaction score
I just went to check my boat that is winterized and stored. I was looking over my OptiMAX 150 and I noticed a really small wet spot below the skeg and some oil on both sides of the skeg coming from where the between the torpedo ends and the prop starts. I ALWAYS have my motor virticle in the winter so I know that no water got into the lower unit. My question is this just a rear seal that might have poped or is bad. This motor has run great without one minor or major problem since I bought it. Its due for a new impeller and membrain this season and I will be having my tech look at this problem. Guess I just want a confirmation that its just a seal that can be fixed.

Could be the fogging oil from the exhaust after winterizing. And What's a membrain?

First of all check to see if it is really lower unit oil. You should be able to tell by the strong smell. If it is, check first and see if the Lower Unit fill screws are tight and not leaking. If it is coming out of the prop shaft, it will need a new prop shaft seal. Fishing line, bent prop shaft, etc can cause this. If it is caused by the prop shaft it will need a new one. A tech can pressure test this to determine if the seal is leaking. Though it is not cheap (has to be disassembled and depends if there is any add'l damage), this is indeed very repairable.

I would guess fogging oil also. I kirked also when I saw that little spot.

Bill Kyte

Waldorf,MD

Thanks guy;s! Like I said I am going to have the lower unit serviced in the sping so I will have the Tech check all the possibilities.

Just a word to the wise. When you store your motor, it is better to store in the "trailering" position and resting on your motor-toter. Put a plastic bag over the prop to keep the moisture out. Why is this better? Because when you drop your motor it pressurizes you hydrolic system and can lead to pump/seal/line problems. Ask Gunny....;)

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back