Laptop recommendation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue DeLelys

Reaction score
My old laptop died after 3 years and it's time to get a new one, but I am so confused. My son, who is much more computer savy than I will ever be, bought me the old one so I didn't have to do any research. Now I'm trying and have read so much info that my head is spinning.

I know I don't like Dell as I use one for our Rod & Gun Club membership files but am open to almost anything else. Don't do any gaming or watching movies but may be using Skype when my son and his family go back to Hawaii in September.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Sue,

My suggestion is to take a look at Mac laptops at your local apple store. The reason for this recommendation is simple, they just work and work great. They do cost more than a windows laptop but you are paying for a much better experience and a much better built piece of hardware. Overall your grief level with computers will be pretty much gone. Things like malware, virus's ect are pretty much non existent on the mac platform and again the hardware is built better, they last when cheaper machines are falling apart.

I'm sure we will get the macs aren't compatible, are for beginners etc arguments that we have seen here in the past but those are rooted in ignorance of what a mac is and what it does.

Just so you know a little background on where my recommendation comes from. I have worked in the IT/Computer industry for 20 years. I have done everything from hardware repair to data center design. I currently manage the network and server/domain infrastructure for the investments wing of one of the largest auto insurance companies in the US. I do this stuff every day and for my personal machines i run Mac's because they just work.

I know Mac runs a Mac:lol::lol::lol: Depends on if you want to learn a new operating system. Nothing wrong with Macs but some of the IT guys on here could probably steer you to a good windows based laptop if you want to stay consistent.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I hadn't considered a Mac, so I took a look. I see what you mean on the price and unfortunately I just can't afford one. :(

Sue

My daughter just WON a new Apple Ipad and it's slick!

ALTHOUGH when she told me the retail price of 500...I pulled back:blink:

Tee, I know what you mean....the cheapest laptop I saw was $1200.00 :eek:

Sue,

What is your price range that you are looking for?

Sue - I'm not a tekkie, by far, but I use quite a few laptops between home and the family offices. I've found over the years that Tiger Direct, Best Buy online, Woot and Geeks.com will offer a variety of simple, easy, quality PC laptops. Toshiba is my preference for overall performance based on pricepoint, but ASUS also makes a great, inexpensive laptop. All under the $500 range are regularly found. If you just need something to surf, email, and play, an iPad2 can be had new for about $400 16GB and occasionally 32GB units. I'm typing this on a Toshiba Satellite P755, 6GBR/640GBHD/Intel Core I3/Win 7 I picked up new at Best Buy for $450 about 6 mos. ago. Good luck! ;)

Hi Jim,

$500 would be max although the less I spend, the happier I would be.

Sue

I'm a small business owner and my wife is a pharm sales rep on the veterinarian side. We both have Toshiba Satellite Laptops. We love them!! Runs everything super smooth. Webcams, back lit keybords, on/off button for finger mouse pad, side number pad, and THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKERS OF ANY OTHER LAPTOP ON THE MARKET!!!!!! Don't believe me????--> go to your local Office Depot and bring your favorite cd in with you.....harman/kardon speaker system:cool:!!!!! and the price is right on them.

Office depot does ad matching, and they offer a great 2 year protection plan.

Hope this helps!

Lenovo (#2 best seller on the planet) has an awesome line of laptops. My wife and I each have one and we couldn't be happier with them.

I would buy any laptop with a DUAL core processor. That is a hard requirement. Unless you are gaming, rendering video, or the like, you can get yourself a good laptop for $299. Don't let anyone tell you that a Core I-5 or Core I-7 is needed. That is B.S., unless you game, etc.

Watch the sale papers. Make sure it says dual core, and then look for the biggest hard drive and most RAM you can find. You can always add RAM later. The hard drive is a little trickier. ;)

"You can always add RAM later. The hard drive is a little trickier"

Go for more ram first. If you get one with 3 gig of ram, it will have a 32bit os, and, if it has 4 gig or more of ram, it should have a 64bit os. If you add to the 3 gig of ram later, the 32bit os won't use it and you can't upgrade the os from 32bit to 64bit without completely "rebuilding" the system. Upgrading the harddrive is a piece of cake, just look at the offerings from Apricorn EZ Gig (there are other drive cloning products available, but I know the Apricorn works).

Sue, Look for a laptop that has all the software / programs you want..Wireless..Warrenty..

Some like a back lighted keyboard..Do you carry it around alot..Wieght..

Most major brands make a fairly good unit. Stay away from the most $$ ones and the cheapest ones.

And get a extented warrenty ..It's not easy for most to work on.

With the new school year starting, you may find a good deal out there.

Good luck and have fun.

Rick

Sue, don't know if you've already moved on this, but wanted to chip in this advice: The last three laptops I've purchased have been Acer. They have worked very well and I would buy another tomorrow if I needed one.

Many of the entry level laptops are suitable for home use and light travel. As you move up the price scale, you get more travel durability and some specialized features, such as higher end video performance geared toward artists and gamers, or more battery life for people who have to work unplugged for extended periods.

Last one I bought was this one, and it's an excellent machine at a bargain price:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0396869

Now THAT is a good deal, Rich. I wish I needed another laptop! :cool:

Latest posts

Back