KVD Disqualified for Santee Cooper

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Did you hear about KVD? He has been disqualified from competition in this week's Bassmaster Elite Series event on Santee-Cooper Reservoir because he violated a rule regarding the non-boater operating the boat outside of emergencies and loading/unloading at the ramp. He was looking for spawning bass on the bow while the non-boater was driving. Both were DQ'd for the entire tourney, not just one day. Boy, I feel pretty bad for him as I just saw him on Saturday.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Thats going to leave a mark. But during the official practice you must obey all tournament rules. Lets see if it sticks?

BF

Oh, it looks like it is going to stick. They showed him the rules and he agreed he did what they was flagged for. People would be having a field day if this was Ike who got DQ'd. It will be interesting to see how much air play this gets on Basscenter this weekend.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Well, read the story on Bassmaster after your note. Sounds like KVD understood the situation, and Trip Weldon did what a good Tourney Director will do. Enforce the rules, no exceptions. I suspect that when we hear from Kevin, it will be courteous and professional.

Tex

You go to respect BASS for being fair and by the book. As much as I like KVD, it sounds like he was rightfully DQ'ed. At least he didn't whine, cry and threaten to "confer with his attorney" like Ike did.

Steve

The article here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/elite/news/story?page=b_tourn_Elite_Santee_VanDam_disqualified

Looks like there was a change to the wording of the rule... bad for KVD.... from the sounds of it, I'd say he (and others) have done this before, and wasnt aware of the way it changed... no excuse however.

What? He didn't break a light pole, cuss a blue streak and threaten to eat small childen??

KVD is a class act, even if he's not from Indy or Jersey, and he'll take his lumps like a man.

Yep i think Tex nailed it. Hes a professional, you wont see him going off and cussing, breaking stuff etc.

KVD is a pro that is a given. Anyone that would go off the handle after seeing the boom drop on IKE would have to be a complete moron right now.

I heard KVD dropped the F bomb in texas when he lost a fish then he threw his rod in the water, is that part of the "class act" ? or is it taking his lumps like a man?

Perhaps ESPN tried to mute it out, I beleive it was the event Ish Monroe won.

If you listen very closely... turn up the volume really loud... you can hear KVD mutter the F-bomb under his breath... So low in fact that even the censors missed it...

Unlike having to turn the tv down in order _not_ to hear the tirade of Ike from the classic.

Even Greg Hackeny muttered some (or a) 'foul language' that had to be bleeped.

And yes, as compared to Ike, i still consider these two to be class acts... no one expects them to be emotionless... just more in control of thier emotions and actions.

KVD responds:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/elite/news/story?page=b_tourn_Elite_Santee_VanDam_statement

Sim,

There's a first time for everything, so it's the first time we disagree LOL, not condoning any of the actions, but when certain people kick a dead horse again.(Ike @ FL) To decide on behavior based on the TV volume and if ESPN decided to Bleep something and the degree of destroying fishing equipment is an individual decision, however in my opinion it has no merit in the decision process. All three acted without sportsmanship, period.

If ESPN decided to stomp on KVD or Hackney like they did to Ike, oh wait, that's not going to happen.

CJL

CJL,

I thought the same thing... but lets compare notes:

Ike had one days disqualification for blatent (some would say extreme) unsportsmanlike conduct... breaking things, cussing, stomping... basically a baby fit that spectators near and far could hear.

KVD bairly muttered a word... no one other than himself even knows he said it.

So... You're focusing on the cussing... that's ok.. I agree (for the most part) BUT Ike was disqualified for "destrucion of safety equipment"... not "Cussing".

So... fair is fair... KVD didn't break anything.

Regardless of comparisons between Kevin and Ike, I realy liked the response Kevin had, shows real professionalism and something seen WAY to infrequent by a lot of people, especialy famous folks, and that is - Taking personal responsibility for their own actions!! He didn't blame the folks who made the rule, didn't blame his non-boater, or anyone else:

"It really caught me off guard," VanDam said. "I got the rules and sure enough I had broken that rule. It's tough to swallow. I have no one to blame but myself. I should have taken the time to read the rules word for word.

"For 16 years I've tried to hold myself to the highest level of integrity. So this really blindsided me. It's tough to handle. I just have to take my lumps and move on."

Sim,

I don't want to kick a dead horse again either, but I also notice how people put KVD on a High Horse, (lot's of Horses, LMAO).

I am focusing on the behavior, not the technical apsects of the DQ for either of the three Pros's, that part is meaningless to me to debate, rules are rules. I never thought Ike's DQ was wrong, I thought ESPN/BASS was wrong for the coverage of it.

Again, I'm focusing on the behavior not the cussing, and the way the media and fans react to the behavior based on the Pro involved.

In regards to breaking equipment, KVD threw down fishing equipment in reaction to a lost fish, without regard for the damage it may cuase to that equipment, he then spoke (regardless of volume) a word unfit for the general public to hear in repsonse to a failed attempt at fishing.

Sim,

One more point, you say, "Fair is Fair, KVD didn't break anything", it should not matter if he was able to break something, it was the act itself not the success of the act.

CJL...

I don't really want to debate this, as I can see a huge degree of difference between the actions of the two aforementioned pros... and niether of those two incidents have anything to do with today's news.

Lastly...(and I said I didnt want to debate this...)

KVD when he threw the pole wasnt intending to break anything. (and nothing was broken).

Ike, in his tirade, intended to break the items he broke.

And did you miss the part about it being not Ike's property to break? Destruction of Sponsor boats... destruction of 'Safety' equipment?

And I still cant quite get the two events to equal in my head... KVD tosses a rod, mutters under his breath... Ike throws a fit, cussing at the top of his lungs and grabs the light pole to break it over his knee and then throw it in the water...

One 'incident' was all of 30 seconds (including time to retreive the rod) the other a good 5-10 minutes.

And to you they are 'equal' in the eyes of the rules?

I can't see them as anywhere near equivilent...

Fair enough Sim, I was trying to shed some light and bring some facts about the event that took place in TX, considering this thread just had to bring up Ike's incident in FL.

More importantly I went with the Japan Craw LVR-D7, hopefully it pans out for me, I could not find the Spring Craw LVR-D10 I wanted/needed for this weekends Tourney.

CJL...

I have a Spring Craw in the LVR-D10... email me your address, and I'll send ya one as a peace offering...

Nah, that's Okay, I need no peace offering from you, my skin is getting much thicker, LOL.

It's just two adults debating.

I appreciate your offer.

IMHO your Bassfishing Karma just went through the roof!!!! Your gonna have a great year.

CJL

How much different is the D7 vs. the D10?

I will be fishing in weeds anywhere from 1'-15' deep

It's mostly a size difference...

The D7 is 1/2 ounce and 2-1/4 inches.

The D10 is 3/4 ounce and 2-1/2 inches.

You did check the Backwaters Site, right? We have that color listed...

http://www.backwatersonline.com/category.cfm?Category=679

I dont think you can be DQ'd for throwing your rod and reel in the water. If you could, Dean Rojas would have been on hos record setting day on Toho....

Mini

I checked for colors, but I need it for Saturday, I don't hink it will come in time, to pay extra shipping on a LC is like rubbing salt in a wound, LOL.

Is the D-7 size close in comparison to a Cotton Cordell 1/2 ounce, cause I reaally don't wnat anythign smaller than that, I asked my wife to go to the store and get it today I have not seen it in person yet. The only one they had is the D7 Japan Craw, the Spring Craw looked really good color wise.

The lake I am fishing for the T is red hot for Red Traps right now, big fish in the lake.

I'll double check tonite.. could've swon that we had that one in all sizes.... there is more orange fade to red in that one... the "Mad Craw" is 'really red'...either way, i could make sure that you got it in time for hte weekend. (Priority mail from Ky to NJ should be 2 days max).

lvr_286.jpg

The D7 is what I would compare to the Cordell Super Spot (C25 series) and the "normal" size RattleTraps.

I know what it;s like to want something specific for a planned trip.

I need to add the rattle traps, but we do also have the SuperSpots online now... Includeing the "Royal Red"...

http://www.backwatersonline.com/category.cfm?Category=1357

Sim - That is the bait our local "Triton Mike" is saying is the best thing right now for our Spotted bass, of course he's sponsored by Lucky Craft and Gary Yamomoto, so he doesn't recommend any other baits :)

TMike is more honorable than most... If he recomends a particular bait, he's got alot riding on that recomendation.

Now... it's up to you to actually catch fish on it!

:D

What do you think of the Japan Craw, to light in color?, (banging my head on a brick wall), the need to start the season off right is comsuming me, LOL @ myself.

Myself

I have to think about it, the next Tourney is on a lake that I did really good on in American Shad last year, (was culling 1.5 hours into Tourney).:unsure: Confused as usual

hmmm...

Japan Craw looks to be translucent 'brownish'... that and the fact that jersey fish want american craws, not no stinkin' jap craw!!! :D (that;s a joke for the humor impaired!). (We dont have the japan craw, so I cant visually compare them).

Japan Craw:

LVRD7-299JPCR.jpg

Spring Craw:

LVRD7-070SPCR.jpg

The Mad Craw/Srping Craw have a more matt finish. IMHO, Spring would be the one I would be more likelty to try... that color set does well in a number of baits.

Here's the thing... whenever I listen to what 'everybody else thinks' and not what my gut/experience tell me... I do worse. That doesnt mean to ignore other techniques and baits and areas... it just means that you have to fish your confidence.

If I know that a particular bait has produced well for me in the past in a particular situation... that's where I'm starting... I can then expirement from there.

So... don't get confused... that's what'll hurt ya.

Okay so with that said, I already have

1 - Cotton Cordell Spot 1/2 oz in dark red to light red black back, looks like the spring craw.

1 - Japan Craw :)unsure:) maybe I won't open the package or it just might be the edge!!!HMM

1- Rattle Trap in Orange Craw

1 - Medium Crank LC Aurora Brown

1- Shallow Crank LC American Shad

1 - A pack of smokes

1- Frog Toggs

I sleep on it :lol:

What, no Spinnerbaits?

no Jerkbaits?

What kind of MadMan are you???

:unsure:

Oh I have the Spinnerbaits ready. White & Chart with double willow leaf, (bronze with red fleck). I found this spinner bait two years ago at the bottom of a lake, it's by far the best I have used, I don't know who makes it, TomMac from this board has seen it in person he thinks it was homemade, it's my prize possesion. :wub: The wire part has springs around it? Red beads, never seen anything like it.

And I have the Misty Shad Pointer:wub: but it's the bigger one, three trebles, neither produced for me last week at the same lake.

Sounds neat... post/email me a pic if you can...

I don't carry enough tackle to be prepared if they are picky enough to want the japan craw versus the spring craw. I personally like to keep it to basic color schemes - of course I'm at work right now instead of getting ready on Santee Cooper, so don't go by what I say.:)

I know I started it I'm blaming myself. LOL :)

Either way it was much better than the original post.

Sorry for the highjack.

Velcro I;m usually not that picky myself, but @ $16-$19, I start to analyze a little more, and now my wife knows how much I pay for those LC's :unsure:

Hmmm, so how about them Red Sox?!!! ... figured if we were going offroad on my post, might as well go completely around the bend. :)

P.S. I like the LVR D7 in chrome blue with red Mustad #4 triple grip hooks ...

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Latest posts

Back