Nothing but a cold, wet shower on Santee Cooper

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I fished the fabled Santee-Cooper lakes on Saturday in the 3rd SC Federation Tourney on Saturday. Drew a long time angler of SC waters and was encouraged. Unfortunately, that turned into nothing but a cold wet shower for the day. More later.

I really don't like going down the bank with the trolling motor wide open. It leaves me about one chance to get at a 'target' - if then. When we weighed in (early - since he is part of the 'team'), we were one of 6 boats that had already posted zero's. However, someone was doing good. Saw one sack (23lbs+) weighed in with big fish at 6.94 lbs.

Anyway, the lake is famous for good fishing, big cat's, and lots of wind. Going down to the lower lake was a bumpy ride. Didn't think that his Ranger rode that well, or he didn't know how to drive it. Beat the $%^#$ out of me. Coming back is when I got my shower. Running in the safe channel, and got close to two other boats making headway. While trying to pass and clear their wakes, boat went down, water went up, and me with no console just closed by eyes and got soaked. Looked like one of those waves from 'A Perfect Storm'. Everything in the boat was wet, except him behind his console. I had on my rain pants (bib overall), since it was fairly cool that morning, and had a water repellant jacket on under my life jacket. Most of the water pretty much ran down into the seat, but it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Oh well.

Fishing as a backseater has had it's downs the last two tourneys. The first tourney, the boater was very good about everything. Just goes to show you.

By the way, neither of us had a bite all day long. Seems as though we 'ran up and down the lake' about 2 to 2 1/2 hours worth.

Tex

Back