Humminbird Greg 997 Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam blatt

Reaction score
On my last couple of trips out last year year, i would get a low voltage alarm on my 997 at the console. I would just hit exit and it would clear for a little while. Well then it would freeze up. I would have to kill the power to get it to turn off. That worked a couple of times, but then I went to turn it back on and nothing. The buttons will light up, but screen is black. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna bring it over to a buddys house who also has a 997 to see if it'll work on his boat. I tried a ohm meter at the plug in and its got continuity. I really dont want to send it in for repairs

Did you solder all the wire splices and connections? Might make a difference,

Your unit should be connected directly to the battery and your battery should be in good condition with clean and tight terminals and fully charged.

Everything else worked fine. Livewells, trolling motor, Humminbird at the bow. If it was the battery wouldnt they all have issues with power?

Are all the things in place like I listed??

Is your bow unit a Side Imaging unit too??

I had the same symptoms on my bow mounted HB...I found light oxidation on the contacts between the fuse and the fuse holder contacts...it is the spring loaded fuse holder. Scratched the contacts off....no more problem. Worth checking.

Wayne, the humminbird 997 goes to the fuse panel, so not directly to the battery. The unit at the bow is not side imaging, only down imaging. The batteries are probably 4 years old. So they are definately due for replacing. I work construction so currently I'm out of work for a little while. So I dont have the money to replace them.

Teetoh, is the spring loaded fuse holder in the same place as the other fuses? Under the console?

No, it was under the plate at the front of the boat. It is an 08 Z7. There was no rust, just that tarnish look the brass and copper connections get. I put up with the unit shutting down and locking up much longer than I shoud have. I pulled the plug off the unit and watched the voltage readings at the plug, they were low and when I moved the fuse holder around the voltage would intermittently go to zero....guessing that would have been when the unit would lock up. I have had it out several times since and not one problem..It is a 788 ci combo, have the HD unit on the console and I love them....a lot more now than when it was locking up.

Good luck

You should be using the spade type fuses and in a waterproof holder.

Radio Shack has them.

Thanks Wayne.....actually I already bought one...just have not installed it yet. I saw that recommendation on an earlier post of yours. You guys have no idea how helpful the advice you publish here is. Thanks

Guys, in general; any corrosion on an electrical connection can reduce the current flow through it. This works to reduce the voltage that gets to your Humminbird unit. This is why I always recommend running a new set of wires from your Humminbird unit all the way back to the cranking battery. Fewer connections equals fewer problems in the long run. All connections should be soldered and sealed to help keep them corrosion free as well. Those blade type fuses and fuse holders resist corrosion better than a spring type bus fuse does.

If you check the voltage on the power connection of your unit it should only drop by a few tenths of a volt from the battery voltage. Any more than that can point to a loose or corroded connection. You also should test the voltage while the unit is connected (which is very hard to do) and powered up as this will show the loaded voltage. Checking the voltage without a unit connected and powered (unloaded voltage) will not always show that you have a power problem.

Power problems can affect any brand of sonar or any electrical piece of equipment. So it is suggested that you always take the necessary steps to prevent any electrical connection problems and don

Latest posts

Back