Having fun turns tragic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Just got home from Florida. We were there for the USSSA 11U World Series. While there one team went to the beach. They had red flags (No swimming) all over the place. They decided to play football in knee deep water. Two boys from the team got caught in the undertow. The head coach and an assistant went to help. The head coach got to one of the boys and got him back to safety. He then got the second boy, and his assistant yelled he was in trouble. The coach got to him while holding the boy, grabed his leg...but the current was to strong. The assistant coach drowned, while his son, and wife watched. The tournament was still played, and we won second place, however I still feel sick. We take way too much for granted.

Bubby:(

Rip tides are very dangerous. Sorry to hear about this. If you are going to the beach a quick read on how to deal with rip tides is in order. My NOAA weather radio actually broadcasts how to handle riptides with the weather report. I lost a co-worker this weekend (not ocean related) and I knew her for 20 years. Prayers to all the family's.

TOXIC

That's terrible, those undertow currents are more than just about any swimmer can handle and are not to be taken lightly.

The man mentioned was from McDonough, GA and his story was on the local news last night. It's sad to see his children and wife left behind so soon in life as he was still a young man, same age as me. (42y.o.) Prayers are continued for his family and your co-worker Scott. :(

Back