Genesis Help?

• Thread starter Richard Ehlers (SevenPin)
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Ehlers (SevenPin)

Reaction score
Just joined a couple of days ago and hoped someone (anyone ;-)) can help me out. I've got a used 99 Tracker Pro Team 185 last year with Minn Kota Genesis trolling motor. If I tried to run the motor on the highest setting, the lcd display would show 2 or 3 hours of time left before battery would be dead. No problem there, I sort of expected that but the stupid motor would shutdown within 30 seconds. Do I need to check for loose connections in my wiring, add another battery, or junk it and get something newer? A repair place near me (Batavia, OH) won't work on it since it is no longer in production. Or is it possible that the electronics are having a "brain fade" and can't really determine how much power is left?

Thanks for all help and advice (good or bad). I look foward to getting more involved in the group. Maybe even make it to next year's Rally!

Ditto to Toxic's welcome...this is a great board with more help than you can imagine...just do not mention jacknuts.

Rick, welcome.

On the Genesis. Junk it and get a Maxxum. MK is soon discontinuing the Genesis motors because they were so problematic. Buzz and I had repeated problems with his until he finally replaced it with a Maxxum.

Remember this whenever buying something for the marine environment....more moving parts = more potential failures.

It was great in theory, but just not very practical in every day purpose.

With your unit, I would venture to say the power unit is messing up and either not reading correctly, or clipping out. Call Minn Kota and tell them the problems you are having and ask to exchange for an autopilot or Maxxum. You won't be sorry.

Good luck.

Thanks, Rob. I wasn't sure if Minn Kota would still honor that type of trade up. I think the motor is a 2000 but it may be the same year as the boat. I'll send them an email after I get the serial number off the motor tonight and see what happens.

BTW, What's a jacknut? ;-)

Rick, they may not, but it can't hurt to ask.

Jack nuts are on the bottom of a jack rabbit and can be used by some of the odd members here to fasten a trolling motor to the front deck of a boat. I don't get into voodoo magic though! But I have heard, the bigger the jack nuts, the better. Hope that helps.

I have a 2001 Genesis and I've also had my share of problems. Last fall the unit quit responding and all my normal tricks failed to work. I called MK and they deduced that I had a bad pedal. They sent out a new pedal no questions asked. No problems since then. I would call MK and give them your sob story.

Welcome to the board Rick!!! There are a lot of people here with a ton of experience with their Nitros. I'm with Rob on this one. I would look to trade for another model Minnkota if you can. I have the autopilot(AP) with universal sonar and I added the wireless co-pilot to it and its an absolute pleasure to use. It may cost a few bucks to switch but its worth it.

Rick, When the shutoff occurs on high power, does your LCD show two dashes ( -- ) and require you to turn the master off and on again to reset? If so, it's the overheat protection. I had the same problem, and equal frustration with my Genesis. Be certain that all your connections are solid and that your wiring is not compromised. Especially consider upgrading the plug - this is what helped a great deal for me. Try doing the longer, full-power runs on less-than-100% settings. I find there is no hard and true setting that is "safe", but 90-93% usually gets me hauling with almost the same speed but without the cutout problem. 100% works for short hops, but depending on the conditions, air temp, etc..., it will trip off.

Thanks, Terry. Actually, I think the LCD display is completely blank. And the cutout occurs at a lower level, more like 70-80%. When it cutout on me last year, a couple of times I couldn't even get the darn motor to come back on. Almost like it needed to reset itself. Maybe I do need to run a wiring check. What kind of plug upgrade did you use on your motor? This 185 is wired for 12/24 (says so right at the trolling motor plug ;-) ) but I'm not sure what size of wires were used to run back to the battery. Guess I'll get real familiar with my voltmeter this weekend. Maybe I'll even work on my tan while I'm laying out on and in the boat.

Terry,

I finally got some juice to the Genesis today. Unfortunately, the motor deployed, gave me an ER5 error and quit. When I turned off the power and turned it back on, there was nothing on the LCD. After about 10 minutes, I finally got the LCD to show something,

Sorry I didn't see this response SP - a lot of overtime lately. Sounds like you're in over my head. You didn't mention in your original post, but what thrust motor do you have? Not to oversimplify an obvious thing, but it IS a 12v motor, I assume? Shame to simply bury it if it's just a board issue. I'm going to send you an e-mail with a possible contact who might be able to help.

Thanks Terry, Shot you an email just now. It is the 12V 55# Genesis with PD/AP. Doubt if MK will let me trade-in an out-of-warranty TM, but we shall see ;-). IF they don't, anyone like a slightly used, non-functional, ie DEAD TM?

Thanks for everyone's help. Will keep you posted (like it or not!).

Well, bad news (at least for me!) Minn Kota still has the Genesis trade-in program but only for the original owners. No options for second-hand owners. Looks like I'll have to work some overtime to get my new TM :(

Latest posts

Back