New Trolling motor needed-help please!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've got to get a new trolling motor. I'm only running a 12V system, and I've got an 18 ft 2001 NItro NX 750 DC.

I'm getting rid of the motorguide 40 lb that came with it and I'm looking at Minn Kota and Motorguides. Does anyone know if the bolt patterns are the same if I change to a Minn Kota? I also read that the recessed foot pedal will not fit the Minn Kota pedal. Does anyone know if that is true?

Also, if anyone would like to tell me if they like one brand more than the other, and why, that would be helpful. I've only had Minn KOta before this one, and I'm less than impressed with the motorguide on the boat. It's really loud (creaks when steering) and just does not seem like a real sturdy motor. But, that's my only experience with motorguide, and the motor is 10 years old.

Thanks!!

JK

I do not think all the bolt holes will ine up for you between Minn Kota and the MG.

TM discussions usually sound like the Ford, GM, Dodge discussion. Some have luck with one, some do not. Me, I am partial to the Minn Kota series; fairly quiet, not too many squeaks etc.

Good luck with your decision!

I ended up getting a new Motorguide Brute 52 from Cabelas. Hopefully it;s a lot quieter than the one I have currently.

I'm really suprised there were not more responses though. Usually people are pretty helpful.

Thanks Carlos!

JK - I guess its a lot like asking what's the best oil to run! Sounds like folks didn't want to get into the debate. I've had both and like them both for different reasons.

As for mount holes, most models between MG and MK will not line up. I understand there's a plate you can get that will help, but mostly you would have had to bite the bullet and redrill if you went MK from an MG.

Sounds like the 52 will suit you fine. Can't go much higher on a 12V system (I think 55 is max).

FWIW - Just about all current, and almost all prior, scissor mount base model MG's and MK's will have at least four (4) mounting holes to match between the brands. The search button at the top is a big help for common topics, too ;)

As far as the individual brand goes, they both make excellent products and also cheap, entry level products. Just like most aspects of life, you'll get what you pay for. Myself, I'm a MG man. I just prefer steel over plastic.

Regarding response time to a thread, some people may actually be away from their computer for more than 26 hrs. on a weekend to respond. :huh: IMO - People here are very helpful, given the opportunity. :cool:

I totally agree about how helpful people are here! I'm really grateful for this community.

I was just suprised there had not been more responses as I usually have an answer in 1 hour, and it seems like everyone has one motor or the other.

Thanks for the advice guys!

If you get a Minnkota Maxxum they included holes that fit a Motorguide pattern to make the swap easier. Even if they didnt filling in the holes and drilling new ones is no big deal to do.

As far as motor preference i prefer Minnkota hands down. I have owned a few Motorguides over the years and i have had nothing but trouble out of all of them. Im tough on trolling motors and they have just given me fits. For me Minnkotas have been super durable and virtually indestructable.

Dan, just for the record the Minnkota shaft isnt "plastic" per-se its a fiber renforced composite called Delrin 577. The stuff is very, very strong and is stronger then stainless steel. Its a lot like Carbon Fiber but less brittle. My dad has been machining that stuff for years and had told me its one of the strongest composite materials around. From what he tells me if you break one of those shafts you have really done something because it does not break easily.

The shafts do break....seen it.

I have never some close with my Maxxum.

Ditto Mini. Saw a pallet with them at Bassmaster T's on the Potomac and another at Lake Martin. (The Potomac T also had several of them with the original leaking U-sonar issue that MG has also experienced.) Both were brutally cold conditions and I was told they snapped upon impact. I'm sure it's not a regular occurance and they do make a very good unit, I just prefer steel over non-steel. I've bent a few MG's and been lucky enough to bend them back to keep on going. I've also been in the boat when a MK whacked the snot out of something and bounced back like nothing ever happened. The severe cold conditions have been the only shaft issues I've witnessed the breakage at the support trailer. All in all, I think they both build great units, and some that are...less than. :D

I had to drill new holes when I replaced my MG with a MinnKota Maxxum. Owned both, had gears 1-3 quitting working on the MG, never had issues with MinnKota. My personal opinion is MinnKota's are built better and function better. Just my 2 cents.

"gears? maybe your clutch was bad or you were double clutching too much....lol

Speed control setting, dear....

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R !! 1, 2, and 3 aint workin' no more (I'm southern now).

You have always been southern to me and I was born in California :)

I bought a MK Traxxis last year for my canoe, and I love it. The digital maximizer does a great job of extending battery life. Great motor

Hopefully the Brute is a good motor. It's a "cabela's exclusive" and it got great reviews at the site. Keeping my fingers crossed, and I'll let y'all know.

Didn't mean to imply anything inferior to anyone over MK regarding it as "plastic". I'm just used to metal and prefer it on my foot controls. I put two MK Enduras on the back of my electric jon boat and a MG Bulldog 55lb. foot control up front when I rigged it this Spring. I wanted the Enduras back there because they are fixed position for forward propulsion and powered/steered with Big Foot demand switches from the front seat. (Kinda like driving a tank without the front motor being used and great for solo loading.) I figured if I hit anything I didn't see, they'd flex and keep on going. All three in unison give me 7mph, which is actually cooking pretty good for a 14' all electric. I believe the Cabela's Brute is the sister motor to the shorter shaft Bulldog on my rig. If so, I think you'll be very pleased. Enjoy! :D

Got my new Brute in the mail on friday. I have to say I'm a lot more impressed with the Gator Mount than the mount that was on the old motor. Seems much more stable and tough. Feels almost like cast iron! It's all mounted and ready to go.

I was surprised it did not come with a plug for my boat. I just removed the one fromt the old motor and installed it on the new one. Is that common?

I'm going out today and I'll be back with a report (and hopefully some pigs!) later on today.

Plugs are left to the owner's choice. With many boat brands and plug styles to choose from, rarely will you ever see one in the box. Good luck! ;)

I figured that must be the deal, but I was unsure what to expect when the motor came.

I got out today in a lot of wind and weeds. I have to say I'm really impressed with the Gator Mount. It's relly stable and it's so much quieter than the standard mount. There really is no comparison.

The 52lb was enough to pull the boat around and did not drain the battery any more than the 43lb as far as I could tell.

Overall, I love it! Much better than the old one.

Latest posts

Back