Junk batteries in one year old boat.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodgeBoy

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had taken the boat in for some warranty work and to lube the boat and trailer, along with dropping the motor one hole and fix a water leak. Well after picking it up and being charged over $280 for the non-warranty work. They even charged me $28 to put air in the trailer tires, WTF! So after I picked it up it was a week before I could get back on the water. Only to find the trolling motor and live wells no longer work. Then about three weeks later I stopped by BP on the way to the lake so they could check it out. They found the screws for the wires for the trolling motor plug came lose and the voltage coming from the batteries were only putting out 14.6 volts not 24 and the cables are completely corroded. As for the live wells they don't have a clue yet. The boat is getting dropped off Monday afternoon to have it worked on. I am also going to have them put the motor back where it was. I lost 12 MPH, and the boat literally jumps out of the water on takeoff. The bow is at about a 45-degree angle with anything more than half throttle. Plus, it is sucking fuel like it has a Hemi in it LOL. Does anyone think the low voltage could have damaged the trolling motor? Kind of making me a little unhappy with the service I'm getting.

Just read your post. I couldn't believe they charged you 28 bucks to put air in your tires. That right there shows they are a shady shop and I would never go back. Hope you got everything straightened out.

Just read your post. I couldn't believe they charged you 28 bucks to put air in your tires. That right there shows they are a shady shop and I would never go back. Hope you got everything straightened out.
Yep I was pissed! The service manager told me I'm sure you don't work for free do you. I looked at him and shook my head.

Yep I was pissed! The service manager told me I'm sure you don't work for free do you. I looked at him and shook my head.
As far as the low voltage to the trolling motor, that wouldn’t hurt it. It should be fine when it’s getting correct voltage.

So I had taken the boat in for some warranty work and to lube the boat and trailer, along with dropping the motor one hole and fix a water leak. Well after picking it up and being charged over $280 for the non-warranty work. They even charged me $28 to put air in the trailer tires, WTF! So after I picked it up it was a week before I could get back on the water. Only to find the trolling motor and live wells no longer work. Then about three weeks later I stopped by BP on the way to the lake so they could check it out. They found the screws for the wires for the trolling motor plug came lose and the voltage coming from the batteries were only putting out 14.6 volts not 24 and the cables are completely corroded. As for the live wells they don't have a clue yet. The boat is getting dropped off Monday afternoon to have it worked on. I am also going to have them put the motor back where it was. I lost 12 MPH, and the boat literally jumps out of the water on takeoff. The bow is at about a 45-degree angle with anything more than half throttle. Plus, it is sucking fuel like it has a Hemi in it LOL. Does anyone think the low voltage could have damaged the trolling motor? Kind of making me a little unhappy with the service I'm getting.
Just a heads up. The corroded cables should have been cleaned and coated with a battery corrosion prevention spray. You might want to check for that or it’s just going to corrode again. Sorry to see you’re running into so many problems with your new boat. Had a lot of defects with my 2021 Nitro. Which the service center dubbed them “Pandemic Boats “. Good luck.

I pulled the wires at the bow and tinned them, then added dielectric grease to the holes the wires go into. They had to replace all three batteries in the boat and the live wells both had lose wires at the switches.

I pulled the wires at the bow and tinned them, then added dielectric grease to the holes the wires go into. They had to replace all three batteries in the boat and the live wells both had lose wires at the switches.
Just a thought, is it possible the wires are not a marine grade wire.

Latest posts

Back