Humminbird Disappointment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
So yesterday I decide to attend the opening day of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Sport Show. Two things were on my mind 1)keep tradition going by buying my annual fishing license on the first day they are available for the season and, 2)pick the brains of Humminbird reps for information tidbits before I mount my new 898HDSI this spring.

Nice displays from about 10 boat dealers in the area. The usual display booths from many outfitters, gear retailers, vacation resorts, etc. A nice large display from Lowrance taking up 3 vendor booths with all working units. A HUGE display from Garmin taking up an even larger footprint in the exhibit hall taking up 4 or 5 vendor booth spaces one aisle away. I had no idea Garmin had so many different locators/devices built for the fisherman. Everything in their booth was set up as working models for you to tinker with also.

Kept walking the aisles thinking HB must be in the next aisle?? Not a booth to be found from Johnson Outdoors! I was truly dismayed that there was no booth from Johnson. One retailer that deals with props & trolling motors did have 3 or 4 MK motors on display, but they had twice as many MG units. Another general fishing gear retailer (Thorne Brothers) did have HB units there, but in boxes that were located out of reach on top of their display walls. One of their guys working a cash register did try to answer a few of my questions regarding transducer placement (between his customers checking out). Kudos to him for helping a non-buying customer.

As I'm venturing into a new unknown area for myself in side imaging, it sure would have been nice to put hands on a display unit with a knowledgeable factory rep from HB. I've watched dozens on videos on the HB units, but a hands on conversation with an expert would have been nice. I have been loyal to MK through the years with trolling motors and chargers, and now have taken the step away from Lowrance after 20+ years to HB for this spring. Wish they had taken time to do a better job at the Sport Show. It is the longest running outdoors show in Wisconsin dating back to 1941. Makes me wonder how many new customers Lowrance and Garmin acquired because of their huge presence at the show. Between parking, entry ticket, etc, I spent about $35 to attend with 2 goals in mind. I did get my license and keep my personal tradition alive, but goal #2 was a bust. I shall remain loyal to Johnson, but left disappointed in HB.

I had to purchase a transom mount transducer for the Humminbird unit on the project pontoon, learned real quick on model numbers.
I purchased my lifetime hunting and fishing license two years ago, just need to purchase duck stamp every year. Print tags off the net on AGFC.com. LIFE IS GOOD. The local boat show was better than last year, but not that great. Wife had a fun time walking thru 300,000 to 400,000 $ campers.

cq

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back