Garmin 168 display function(s)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lane

Reaction score
I like the idea of the GPS plotter and the fishfinder built into one but I have a question I can not find an answer to.

The literature from Garmin and others say the 168 has the same function of the regular 240 fish finder which is good but it only mentions it uses a split screen with the plotter.

Question is:

On the Garmin 168 can the fish finder function be selected to display full page when the GPS is not needed and used like any other bottom machine?

Can the GPS be displayed with out the Depth finder? A split page is good sometimes but I want to use whichever function when I want or both at the same time. Anybody out there can help me?

LT

Georgia

I have the 168, it is a great unit.

The answer to both of your questions is yes. The Chart and the GPS can be displayed full screen.

I have actually never tried the split screen, and with the size of the screen really doubt it would be very usefull.

BTW, I know it says same as the 240, but reality (for mine anyway, maybe the newer ones are) is it is closer to the 160...while still not a bad unit, it does have less power than the 240.

I have a 240 as well, I use it at the TM and keep the 168 at the console, the weedbed definition on the 240 (default settings) was 100% better than that of the 168 (default settings).

Fortunately, the 240 and the 168 (and probably the 160) share the same transducer, so you can swap them at will.

Have fun!

Ok....thanks. Now i have those answers it brings up more!

I was thinking the 168 was basically an enhanced 240. I have a Garmin V GPS I use at my console with a ram mount and a 240 at the bow. The 240 has spoiled me. I have the PT185 which comes with the crap HB sounder at the console. I am looking for more here. Maybe I should skip the 168 and get another 240 but where to mount it?

LT

If I had to do it over...

I would probably have gone with a seperate GPS unit alltogether, simply becuase the 240 is such an amazing unit.

I would nuke the HB and mount another 240 right there, but I dont know the space constraints you have.

Latest posts

Back