Bird 898c HD SI question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a new "find me a fish" unit..LOL

Sort of torn between a 798ci HD SI ($900) or a 898c HD SI ($1200). So I came here to see if I can get a few questions answered. (Thinking the 598ci HD SI ($740) might be a little small to see details??) Never owned a Bird, always had Lowrance products, but thinking it's time to see what I've been told I've been missing.

1) what is the length of cabling of the units. My electronics battery is in the back, will be using a transom mounted transducer, GPS antennae will be almost directly above transducer, but want the head unit mounted about mid-boat on my 1648 jon boat. Only thing I can find out is the power cable is 10ft. No biggy there, I'll just lengthen it with 18awg or better wiring. How long are the other cables. Hoping to not need expensive extension cables.
2)798 comes with Unimap, 898 comes with ContourXD map. One of the reasons I'm thinking of the 898 is I've heard the Unimap doesn't show you bottom contour mapping? Which mapping is better? Mostly I fish the WI River, but do occasionally go to lakes also where contouring would be helpful. I also have a Lakemaster 2005 WI lakes card in my Lowrance. Will it function is either of the Bird units?

Just trying to figure out the most bang for my buck. Not sure I want to spend the extra $300 to move to the 898 instead of the 798, but am open to all thoughts of reasoning as to why or why not..

Thanks for the input,

Mark

The 598 and 798 have the same size display and the same display quality.

Humminbird power cords are 6' in length
The transom transducer cables are 20' in length.
You won't have any cable length issues with your boat, just the power cord.

The Uni-map is just a color background.
ContourXD has waters with contour lines but the coverage is very low as compared to regional maps by Navionics and Lakemaster.
You can view a list of XD waters on the Humminbird web site.
Also check the Lakemaster and Navionics web sites for the waters you are interested in for coverage.

Lowrance Lakemaster maps won't work with Humminbird units. Johnson Industries own's Lakemaster now and they own Humminbird too.

With Side Imaging, "BIGGER is better". That is because the size of displayed subjects is relative to the SI range setting, not the water depth like DI or 2D sonar.
The 898 and 998 models got a software update that removes the readouts on the left side in the full screen SI view so you get full width images.

Mark,
1) The Power Cable (PC-11) is six feet long. I suggest that you lengthen it by adding additional 14 AWG multi-stranded copper wire (16 AWG if you go with the smaller 798 or 598 units), a new blade-type fuse holder and 3 amp fuse. Solder and seal all electrical connections. The GPS and Transducer cables are 20 feet long so you should not need to extend them.
2) ContourXD mapping is better and some of the lakes do have some water contour markings but it does not compare to the detailed water contour marking available on the LakeMaster or Navionics mapping cards. That has to be a Humminbird-LakeMaster card to work in a Humminbird unit, so no your Lowrance LakeMaster card will not work. Here is a link to a list of the waters covered by the ContourXD maps: http://store.humminbird.cust.shopatron.com/media/document/ContourXDMapLakeList.pdf
Note here that the LakeMaster-Humminbird mapping cards will have some unique features that other mapping cards will not have: Depth Highlight, Water Level Offset, Shallow Water Highlight, and the i-Pilot Link Follow The Contour features. Upcoming too is the AutoChart feature where you will be able to make your own lake/river maps: http://www.lakemap.com/AutoChart/
The 598ci HD Si and 798ci HD Si units use the same display and have the same sonar capabilities as well.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

"Knew" you two guys would tell me what I needed to know! Thanks to both of you! You guys and your constant contributions to NTOWS are a huge reason I'm thinking of "jumping ship" and switching to Bird...

another question, one site I'm looking at the 798ci HD SI on states it comes with the CountourXD mapping, the other states Unimap. Which is correct??

It has the ContourXD.

For the most accurate unit info, check the Humminbird web site products listing.

spend the extra and get the wider screen. be sure and put an in-line fuse on the power cord. I used a blade type, and if I remember correctly it was a 3amp. Check out doug vahrenburg's site for videos on install if you havent already.

spend the extra and get the wider screen. be sure and put an in-line fuse on the power cord. I used a blade type, and if I remember correctly it was a 3amp. Check out doug vahrenburg's site for videos on install if you havent already.

Yep, a 3A fuse is recommended and the spade type also.

Latest posts

Back