charging help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Sumpter

Reaction score
I have a 08 50 hp Merc. and the cranking battery goes dead after a couple of days Like it is not getting full charge. I pulled the hot wire off the battery while it was Idleling and it showed no voltage but the motor kept running.I know in a car if you do this and the alternator is bad it shuts off.I checked to make sure that nothing was drawing any current while it is off. There are 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel that are connected just a few inches away with plug in connectors and I noticed they looked black after further investigation I found they were burned and melted together with the metal touching.I seperated them and taped them up until I get to the dealer.It seems that it is charging a little and think maybe it has caused the battery to go bad.This a new battery 2 months old the other battery died after 1 1/2 years.I think this could be an on going problem.Does anyone know what the yellow wires are and what the box is they go to down by the starter.And shouldn't it put out 14 volts when charging.This is covered but they have a 3 week lead time and I want to keep running my boat.Take it in when it gets cold. thanks:(

I can't answer the question you pose about the wires, or why it isn't charging the battery. I can however, offer some good advice for maintaining the battery even when you discover and fix the problem.

Get a good on-board battery charger. These do a terrific job of maintaining a charge and keeping the battery in top shape. They plug in after a day of fishing and have it fully charged and ready to go in no time. Get at least a two bank so you can connect the other to the trolling motor battery. Well worth the cost and they save the batteries.

Hope you find the answer and fix it real soon.

Ditto what Firedog said.

Even though your engine will charge your cranking battery somewhat,with an onboard charger plugged in there will be no question it will be fully charged when you hit the key in the morning.

Sorry I can't be of any help with your wireing problem either.

Steve

Thanks, I have a single bank charger and never gave much thought on a double.I thought that was just for a 24v trolling system. Thanks for the input. that would take the guess work out of it.Getting ready to hit the BPS site.and let the dealer worry with the wiring problem.

Thanks Paul

Latest posts

Back