Broken Rod Tip

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared S

Reaction score
I think this is the end of me buying bass pro rods. About a year ago I purchased a BPS Extreme rod for my wife. We got married last Sept and she wanted a better rod if she was going to start fishing more with me. In August we went on a trip to Logan Martin where the tip snapped on a hookset. I called customer service upon my arrival and they said no problem send it back with a check for $7. Now a get a post card in the mail saying that my rod is a 97 model. I explain that my wife just started fishing and I bought the rod less than a year ago, but they argued and said too bad.

Now the history on the computer only goes back a year and they cant even find the purchase because over this lapse of time september has come and gone.

I bought this rod in a combo and my question is do they do combo's to get rid of old rods? I obviously got a 97 rod in 2001 which had no warrenty from the start because they shipped me old stock.

I had never dealed with any customer service associates that were this bad. They couldn't / wouldn't transfer me to another associate or manager. They told me I had to now work with the returns department not customer service anymore....oh and by they way you can only contact that department by mail....and it goes on.

Sorry for the long post just want others to know the way I was treated and what had happened to me. I know I will not be shopping there soon and I am sure my wife will NEVER get me a gift from there again. By the way I still need a 6'6 medium light spinning rod for my wife any reccomendations?

Jared -

As you may have noticed in one of my pervious pots, I have always found the Customer Service people - in fact, all employees - at BPS to be absolutely fantastic to deal with..... This action puzzles me.....

me!

Scott,

I didn't ever have a problem with BPS before either...that's probably why I have so many BPS items including a Tracker boat. I also never had to deal with customer service before this point either...maybe thats why I was so happy. This has pushed me over the edge...selling an old rod and than not backing it up is unacceptable.

Jared

You know, Jared, when I was down in Springfield a few weeks ago, I stopped in the Catalog Outlet store..... I came across a barrel of Extreme rods marked way down - I think about $40..... I thought "Now there is a buy!" so I picked up what appreared to be a 6' heavy action and played with it thinking it might be just what I needed for jiggin'..... THEN I noticed the labeling! It had started off life as a 7' medium Extreme contructed from older IM-7!

Now, I'm not complaining at all - this IS the American way of doing business. I would do exactly the same thing..... But when they can satisfy the person who originally bought the rod..... And satify a newer customer with a "buy"..... And still come out even after including shipping and labor..... It just doesn't make sense.....

{puzzled} me!

Jared, according to consumer law, your warranty is valid as stated by the mfr from the date of purchase regardless of the age of the stock. If they held on to it for TEN years, then sold it tomorrow. If it was advertised with a 1 year warranty, then it is covered for 1 year from tomorrows date. This is just a bulldog mentality some CSR's use to not honor the warranty and keep costs down. Bad business I say. Do you have your receipt. That should prove everything. Always keep your receipts. I tend to do a lot of business with Wal-Mart whenever possible. They have a NO BS return policy. Check at your local Wally world for the Berkely bionic rods. $50, IM7 or 8, can't recall, but nice rods. Good luck. They only way we can combat this behavior is to take our business elsewhere. I know Bob G had a problem with a pro stick (leaning stick) the seal went and it wouldn't stay up. He sent it back, and bought a new one. They promptly sent him a check covering it, since he had already bought the replacement. That is good customer service and keeps customers for life.

Jared,

Ask to speak to the CSR's supervisor. A lot of times they are afraid they will get in trouble or overstep their bounds by commiting to an exchange. If they agree, be sure to insure the returned rod!

T

T-Mann

The original CSR was as nice as possible...she told me what to do and where to send it. The problem is now all of a sudden the rod is in the returns department and they rejected the return. Now customer service tells me its out of their hands and I have to send questions via mail to the return department. Oh by the way they said they will dispose of my rod in 30 days.

I bought the rod in late august early Sept 2001...wife broke the rod in Aug 2002...sent the rod back at the end of August. Its now september 2002 and they cant find my original purchase because their computers only go back one year.

Latest posts

Back