Berkley Vanish

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Berkley Vanish Line? I'm contemplating using some, but my Dad said some of his buddies had problems with the knots breaking, but he's back west and they are fishing for salmon. Historically I've never had any problems with my knots breaking, no matter which line I use and I sure like the visibility, and lack of, features Berkley Vanish claims. Any info is greatly appreciated. 20 days till I get on the Freedom Bird back to the Motherland!

Jim

I used the Berkley Vanish in 17 lb test all last season on my flipping poles. I thought it worked great. Low memory and good sensitivity/feel with the line. I'll be using it again all this up coming season.:)

I'm trying 8lb. for my smally fishin' this year...I'll let ya' know how it works:huh:

I've never used it but if I'm correct it is a flourocarbon line, isn't it? If it is, flourocarbon lines are very touchy about what kind of knot and how the knot is tied. When you tighten the knot with flourocarbon (or any other line for that matter) the heat created by the friction of the line will weaken it. To prevent that be sure to wet the line with some spit or some Kick 'n Bass to lubracate it. Also, always try to use a Palomar or a Uni when fishing with flourcarbon. When tied properly those knots will not cut into themselves.

Let us know how you like the Vanish. I think that is an interesting idea, to have a line that is invisable under water but highly visable above the water. I use P-Line and Silver Thread a lot and both of them have similar properties but don't do the color change thing.

Harpo

Main reason I need it is deep hook sets on smallies...I gotta' cross their eyeballs:lol:

I tried some 12 lb test last year and had problems with the line breaking not just the knots will never use it again Power Pro was much better

JD

I've had mixed results with the Berkley Vanish... some spools were wonderful, and others (of the same test) broke way too easy - and not always at the knot - .... this includes the newer Transisition version as well.

I've switched to P-Line Flourocarbon for the most part, and if I have a little extra to spend the Sunline "Sniper" or "Shooter" Flourocarbon lines are the best you can get. I've had good success with both of these brands on both Casting and Spinning gear.

Transisition....That's what I was thinking of. That's the line that changes color in sunlight....isn't it???:unsure:

Harpo

Ditto Simmy on the Berkely Vanish/Transition. I've had/seen some spools brittle while others were fine. Go figure. I prefer the BPS XPS Sig. Series Flouro. Great line at a bargain price.

Transisition....That's what I was thinking of. That's the line that changes color in sunlight....isn't it???

yup... that's it....

I've been using Vanish for the past several years. I just about use it on most all of my reels. It seems to work fine for me using either a palomor knot or an improved clinch knot.

RoyC

I'm with sim and dan j on the vanish not being dependable. Myself and many of my friends have had some dissapointments with it. Since I have switched to BPS flouro, I have not had a problem. The BPS brand also seems to be more 'user friendly'. The only problem is that it doesn't come in bulk spools.:(

JD. I'm a Power Pro fan also. Do you use a leader or straight braid? I've been experimenting with different leader material and so far the McCoy mean green has been the best for me. The floros have been a disaster. I was wondering how you've been doing with the braid and how do you handle the braid when it changes color? Cut it off. Marker it? At the end of last year I tried the Berkley braid and it seemed to hold its color better.

Really had a problem finding it in the boat. It just seemed to VANISH! :D

I've used it off and on this year (Transistion that is). I like it's visibility above water, and invisibility below. I use it for my finesse soft plastic presentations. I still get more looping on my spinning reels than I like, but I probably carry too much on my reels.

I've not experienced any breakage problems, myself - but I haven't used it all that much.

Tex

Pete W I use the McCoy mean green also my next door neighbor is sponserd by McCoy so he keeps me suplied with it I cut my line off

JD

I tried the Transition line, and loved the color, but I broke off three fish at the knot the first time I tried it. I switched to Big Game of the same test and never broke off another fish that day. I have tried the Berkley Vanish and I like it, I use it all the time, but I will never use the Berkey Vanish Transition again. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

velcro - The XPS flouro has become recently available in 1000 yd spools (I beleive), but I doubt you'll see it in the stores yet. Check the new catalog or call 1-800-227-7776 and ask for it. I think it's about $22-$23 for a big spool.

Used it in 6lb to 17lb it all frays badly and have lost alot of lures casting(knots break) I stick to P-Line Flouro and love it.

I like the idea of seeing your line above the water and not being able to see it below but it broke way too often on the hook set. Seagar or Bass Pro Shops Brand is the flourocarbon line for me.

P-Line CX Premium is a co-polymer so it combines the qualities of both mono and 100% flourocarbon. It is very low stretch, invisible underwater but lights up like neon above water and is at least as managable as Big Game or BPS Excel. I guess there is water clear enough to demand pure flourocarbon but not anywhere I fish.

Harpo

Subject got a little diluted with some posting on braid and not fluro. I use the SPRO fluro and have battled some good stripers with it.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back