HELP! 05 NITRO NX882 Livewell Operation?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ervin

Reaction score
I used my 05 NX882 over the weekend and had some issues with the livewell operation. My switches have auto livewell and manual. I have a bilge pump switch and recirculating switch and pumpout switch. My livewell has a pullout pumpout mechanism. Can someone tell me how this system operates? My live well has a hole with a plug and then on the otherside it has a mesh covered mechanism. Here is my problem. When I stop to fish, I manually half fill my livewell. If I push autofill it only fills half way. So I put the plug in to keep water from coming out while running. For my boat to get up on plane, I have to pump the bilge pump for about a minute to get all of the water out of back of boat. Where could this be coming from? I left the boat in the water in a boat slip overnite, next morning checked the bilge and pumps for about a minute. Nothing else is running at nite. I bought the boat used with no manuals, so I need some help, operating the livewell, keeping fish alive, recirculating the water and aerating it. How does the pumpout feature work? Sorry for all the questions, I am still learning. Any ideas where the water might be coming from?
Thanks, Dave

I hope this will help you a bit. I had an issue with my livewell not holding water. I would fill it and over time it would drop down till about a 1/3 full. Then I would pump it again same story. During the day I would hit the bilge and tons of water would pump out. I figured out that my pump had a bad seal. It was a jonhson cartrige type. You twist it to remove and replace. Once I replaced it the issue was solved. That might be your issue if your bilge area keeps filling with water. with reguards to the plug. Which I think I will buy a couple this year is that once the plug goes in the water in the livewell has no place to drain out. So during a tournament in case of a pump failure your livewell will stay full instead of draining out the bad pump. The end with the screen on it should be your drain. you don't want crap and crayfish bits going in your drain hose and possibly pugging it. I hope this helps you a bit.

Lorenzo, so are you saying my bilge pump or livewell pump may be bad?? My issue sounds like yours.
I will have to check it out. If it is the pump, like yours, where can I pick up a new part?
Thanks, Dave

You will have to or at least I had to remove the batteries and unscrew the cover plate that will reveal the bilge area and pumps. Then you can fill your livewell with a hose and once you get the water level past the pump if it's bad you will see water leaking out the pump. It's a pain to do and get down there. The up side is you can get all the junk that somehow finds it's way down there. The pump should be available at most marine dealers or basspro.

http://www.basspro.com/Bilge-Pumps-Replacement-Cartridges/product/7374/

You can replace with same specs. or buy one that is more powerful. That is up to you. Just mark all the wires before you remove the old one and replace with the new wires. If you can I would recommend you buy shrinkwrap to cover your connections. You want a water tight seal.

While your down there check to make sure your bilge float switch is working mine was not. I have the digital switch called ultima switch. Again made my johnson. It's the best float switch around. I had a blown fuse and didn't know it and that's why it wasn't working. The fuse should be a direct connection to the battery so it will work even if all power to the boat is off. Once I replaced it worked like a charm. Any questions just ask me. Let me know if it all works out Dave.

I had a valve with a bad nipple on the incoming side which caused water to leak into the bilge. My bilge pump would come on about every 30 minutes which got my attention and start looking for the problem. The nipple was collalsping and I had to replace. You may need to check all hoses and connections. Replacing anything in the bilge can be a pain but you'll have to get it corrected. Good luck with your search and repair. :(

Latest posts

Back