2003 TV-18: Are These Changes Just a Coincidence?

• Thread starter Mark Hofman [IMG]http://www.tracker-marine.com/med
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
This is a letter I sent to Tracker Marine back in April, 2002:

April 22, 2002

Tracker Marine, Inc.

2500 E. Kearney

Springfield, MO 65803

RE: 2001 Tournament V-18

Dear Sirs:

I purchased my first boat, a 2001 Tracker Tournament V-18SE, from Bass Pro Shops in Springfield on November 10, 2001. I chose the dual console and spare tire options and upgraded the outboard to the 150XR6. My other options were the Crestliner CVX182 and the Ranger Cherokee V-hull (no longer in production).

I am very pleased with the layout and performance of this model. The amount of storage for an eighteen foot boat is impressive, and I continue to be amazed at how the boat handles. We have fished three people out of this model several times and it was an enjoyable experience. Fishing with two people is fantastic. My opinion is that a prospective owner who is looking for an affordable, true-v hull with a bass-boat layout would be mistaken not to consider this model.

The ride, especially in rough chop, is incredible. It feels like a solid boat because it is a solid boat. I was also impressed with the improvements in construction over earlier year models, notably the welded stern corners, bow cap and the strengthened transom (to accommodate the weight of the 150 h.p. outboard).

What follows are simply suggestions I would like your marine engineers to consider, based on my experiences so far as a user. By no means are these comments to be taken as criticisms from a dissatisfied owner, because I truly love this boat. If, however, a few changes could be made to the existing design, future customers would be even more pleased with the Tournament V-18.

First, I am installing pull handles on both rod lockers and the front storage bin lid of my boat. They are the same style pull handles used on the rear deck lids. The lids up front - especially when the carpet is new, can be hard to open without some kind of hand hold. With gloves on it is very nearly impossible.

I will also be installing the same kinds of locks used on the rod lockers on the rear deck lids - especially for the battery compartments. It is worth the $50-$100 in parts for me to deter someone from stealing the batteries, my tackle and any other gear stored in the rear bins. Kudos to Craig in the Auburn Hills BPS Parts Department for supplying these components.

(Continued)

Tracker Marine, Inc.

Page 2

The second suggestion for improvement is in the location of the livewell overflow. Because the boat does not have a flat pad, it has a tendency of listing slightly to the side we
tournamentv18_F_03_l.jpg

Good Stuff MO!

Now...do you think they will take my 2000 model and trade me straight up for one of those 'fancy-smantchy' 2003 models?

lol

az

Andy, just borrows MO's 150 for a weekend. That should gaurantee you a new boat :eek:)

Mo,

With the new deck extension they had no choice but to put the lid pulls in place. The locks in the back and cleat postions could be all you man ;o)

Marke

Marke:

The website says that the deck extension is a dealer option. Is that right? I thought it was a change to the standard layout.

If you don't order it as part of the package, can you order post-purchase?

MO,

This is the first that I've heard of it being an option. I'll see what I can find out. What photos I've seen it appears to be an integral part of the deck construction and not simply an "add in". I think we still need to build one our selves.

Marke

Marke:

I'll be the first to 'fess up that I got the information wrong, but the extension is listed under Optional Equipment. Maybe the updated website still uses an old options list from 2002? As you're checking into this, if you find out it IS an option, would you mind asking what the dimensions are? I doubt it would fit an '01, but it never hurts to ask.

TEE:

I agree with you on the colors. The bold red just doesn't do anything for me, but its probably a change for the "Silver Anniversary" year and has something to do with the original color scheme.

Websites are notoriously bugged things when they're first launched. That extra foot on the Sportjet 185 is probably the length of the shroud over the jet outlet. The hull from bow to transom is still a 185 hull.

On the TV-18, I also noticed that the angle of the steering wheel is much more horizontal than last year's; more like a semi-truck's steering wheel than a car's. I'm not real thrilled about that either, but I REALLY like the revised console design - especially the windshield.

Mo,

Check the web-site again. It's listed under "Standard Package/Interior" not "Options/interior".

Marke

Okay, I see that. But scroll down to Optional Equipment/"Hardware/Misc". What's the difference between "Extended Front Bow Deck" and a "Deck Extension"????

Now, Mr.TrackerBoatSalesman...can a guy with an '01 order a deck extension, and if so, what's the cost?? My birthday is only 11 1/2 months away!!

What do you think about this Marke?

It's just not like MO to 'buy' something that he can construct! LOL

I want to know if it will fit my 2000 also!!!

(not that I really need Jake closer to me wingin' those stick baits past my ear!)

az

LOL

So, with the new deck extension, did we lose the front compartment? I can't see any seams in the picture...

az

Actually, I think there are now TWO front compartments. The tackle bag and box in the picture cover the foremost handle. Somebody posted some pictures that show the new layout. Tracker did move the rod lockers closer to the centerline, which may change the dimension requirements for the deck extension (if its an option).

Since Marke dosen't seem to want to give you guys the bad news, I guess it's up to me. There are no factory offered deck extensions for the 2000 OR 2001 TV18. The deck extension is standard on the 2003, but because they did move the rod lockers in, it will not fit the older models. Sorry guys. Now get to the home center, use marine plywood and stainless hardware, and post pics in the grab bag when you're done.

Craig

How did Ralphie say it in "A Christmas Story"?

Oh, yeah....."Fuuudddddggggge!"

(Lesseeee, I've got nine fingertips left....There's a top, bottom and four sides, plus the braces.....so six pieces, figure twelve cuts with the power saw...yeah, I should be okay....right??)

I just got an e-mail from Jonny Morris. Per Andy's request they are changing the photo to better illustrate the layout of the new deck extension....LOL

Marke

For those of you considering a deck extension.....

When I had my old Nitro 180, I often thought that I'd make myself an extension like the one John Foster did for the grab bag. Never got around to building one.

When I got my current Nitro 2000, it had an extension. The extra front deck room was nice, but I found that I very much missed the lower area when I wasn't standing and fishing. I sometimes like to get off the high area and into a bit more "secure" spot. Also, I found that it was hard to get to stuff that I shoved under the extension. (Remember those 28" arms, Marke!)

I've pulled mine out.

me!

Latest posts

Back