2003 125HP Mercury Elpto Carburetor Rebuild

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The engine is hard to start, takes a couple tries but seems to have taken more and more tries as the season went on. It has always idled high regardless of prop changes. Last trip it kept dying in idle. Took it to the shop and the mechanic says the carburetors need to be rebuilt to the tune of over $600. Does this sound about right? Thanks in advance!

Kevin, I have a 1998 125 Mercury and have never had a carburator problem. What I have had happen sounds a lot like your issue. As per suggestions from this board, I changed the primer ball and it solved all my problems. Well, at least my motor problems!! It might be a cheap step to check out before the mechanic. Hope this helps. By the way when I talked to my mechanic before changing the primer ball, he also said sounds like a carburator problem.

I have a 2001 115ELPTO and paid $275.00 a complete carb rebuild (all 4) 3 years ago at a dealership in OKC. Sounds high to me.

Larry

How much time on the OB? Are you sure it's ready for a rebuild?? I'd get another opinion at a Merc shop. Unless you run it very infrequently and varnish it good with loaded bowls, I wouldn't think it should be ready for rebuilding. Seek the simple solutions first, then get a 2nd opinion, if it's even necessary. ;)

Got a 2nd opinion, they said they could take a look at it and if it did need a rebuild they could do it for under $300. Now of course they can't get the motor to act up in their tank like it did on my last trip. They did say I was trying to start it cold wrong. According to them I need to push the key in and continue to hold it in while turning it. In the past I have always pushed it in, let up on it and then turned. We'll see if that helps on a cold start.

I won't ever go back to that first mechanic, not happy with them at all! Thanks for the advice!

Yep, hold it in while you crank it. When it is cool/cold you may even have to push it in a few times after it starts to keep it going unitl it warms up a bit. You will typically get good unbiased advice here. Good luck.

With Berry and your 2nd opinion, have a 99 115, took me a year or 2 to learn how to cold start her. I now turn the key 1/2 way, push it in on cold mornings for 3-4 seconds THEN turn her to crank, and usualy on the first try.

Trep

Yes that's high. I had my 99 90ELPTO carbs built last year for just under $300.

Latest posts

Back