150 Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I finally got to put the new Z7 in the water for the first time yesterday after noon.

The book says 2500 to 4500 varying throttle and all that I did it by the book.

I have a couple of Questions, 4100 is all it would turn on the high side trimmed all the way down (Optimax 150 by the way) so I didn't hold that RPB but just a second or two.

Is that normal until I Can plane the boat out? and the water pressure guage only showed like 8 pounds but the tale tale had a good stream. I got caught in the dark getting off the lake and I had to run a very slow and careful speed back to the marina and I'd get a warning beep (continuous) until I throttled down and then that was it but it didnt do it but a couple times. I didnt like runnoing it below 2500 but I didnt want to ram a sunken tree either debri was floating in after dark. Up side I love the Boat it's like fishing off a huge dock comaperd to mt old 640. I'd appreciate some input from you guys that have been there and done that. Thanks.

Ed

Not sure of the correct RPM on your boat setup but my Opti 150 (2012) does 5600 rpm at WOT. Mine is on a Targa Combo. What prop are you using?

I bought a new Z7 with a 150 Pro XS last year, and the break-in was exactly the same. Trimmed all the way down plowing water to load the motor, the highest RPM's I could get were around 4200. I thought something was wrong since the book said to vary between 2500 and 4500, but I could not get that high. Once you start trimming after break-in, you should see your RPM's and speed go up a lot. The highest I can get now is about 5350, which is on the low side, but still inside Mercury's range listed in the manual.

Mike

Thank you Mike, You have any thoughts about the water pressure and Warning I tones I got at Low RPM?

3 Blade Stainless 24P it's the factory set up Sean and Thanks Bud.

5250-5750 is your optimal RPM range at WOT but I wouldn't think you want to try for that until fully broken in and fully trimmed. After breakin, you'd want close to 5750. Each prop step down in pitch gives you about 200 RPM increase. Mine cam with a Enertia prop that had to much pitch and I went down one step.

I don't know about the warning tones you got at low RPM. Mine never did that. If it happens again, you might want to call your dealer.

Pretty much all your speed, RPM's and handling comes from correct trim. Once you get some time on it, get on the plane at about 3/4 throttle then only use your trim, don't touch the throttle and watch how dramatic your speed, RPMs, lift and general comfort becomes. Then push up throttle some more and your boat will sit on the "PAD" and you'll find what is termed the "Sweet Spot'. Take note of what your trim guage now shows because you'll need to trim back in to get on the plane and getting back to the sweetspot is quicker if you have a reference.

You will probably also find that at 3/4 throttle compared to WOT you will have 2 different trim settings for the best result as well.

If you are getting one beep after idliing for a few min. it could be the same problem I had with my 115. I am assumiong the4 warning horn funcrions the same as the 115! On mine it meant the motor was not reaching full operating temp at idle.

If yours is the same. let me know and I will give you a link to the results of my fiasco. Maybe your solution will be the same!:unsure:

I'm letting my son take it in to be checked tomorrow. Dealer told me that at the low RPM it could be a sensor saying it's still in neutral by it clearing up when I went back to idle or above 3000 rpm. either way they'll check it tomorrow.I dont like the low water pressure on the guage either theyll check that but I was told thats normal until WOT time.

My son took my boat to the dealer today.. they replaced a thermostat,water pump,

and oil tank. This boat is new first time in the water was this past Saturday. Computer showed it had over heated 60 seconds but it always had good stream out the tale tale Saturday. They said with the motor being put ion the boat and setting the time it had before selling that the thermostat just stuck or was faulty so they changed it replaced impeller also and replaced the oil tank the lid was stripped and I had never ever touched it..Go figure. Mercury told them to change it all so my hats off to them and te great outdoors marine in Lavalette WV

That,s good news! Let us know the stats after it's broke in to see if your getting all you can out of it.

Got it back on the water for the first time this morning everything is ok and even caught some fish. I'm breaking it in as Bob B says doing it in 20 minute cycles should be good to go after another trip out.

Latest posts

Back