Why do my wheels lock on a Trail Star tandem axle boat trailer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 solutions that are mentioned above. I have the Trailer Valet which is good for maneuvering in tight spaces, including super sharp turns. It does the job but is a pain to use. There is a lot fidgeting getting it connected and disconnected, and it is short so I have to be half bent over while cranking and moving. The other thing I need are dollies on the back tires in order to stop the binding. This is what I purchased - 1300lb Jack Dolly

I have a single axle trailer with a 150hp outboard. I purchased a set of wheel dollies with the same capacity and the boat/trailer was too heavy to move. I hope they work for you. I think I really needed something with much bigger wheels. I ended up with an electric trailer mover similar to this: Electric Trailer Mover

I bought a new Tracker V175 boat April 2023. I upgraded the trailer to the tandem axle with 4 wheels. The trailer works well in all aspects except one. When I remove it from my truck, and use a trailer dolly to back it into my garage, it moves freely straight backward. It just won't turn without locking the brakes.

When I attempt to move the tongue sideways to turn slightly, the wheels lock up so turning is impossible. Even a slight angle on the dolly direction can lock the wheels.

Here is what I do:
1. I install the override pin into the hole on the trailer hitch area to prevent the internal brake piston from being compressed.
2. The electrical plug is disconnected from the truck socket.
3. The swing away pin remains in the trailer so the wiring is not disrupted.
4. The clasp handle that locks the ball into the socket on the hitch is in the locked position after engaging the ball mounted on the two wheeled dolly.
5. I press the safety cable (after the hook is removed from the truck) into the trailer hitch hole to make sure it is not catching on anything and not engaging the piston.
6. We push on the boat, along with the handles on the dolly, to move it into the garage.
7. There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Again, this setup is only a few months old. The folks I purchased this from are clueless with a viable response. I tried a live chat on the Tracker website and they tell me I cannot speak to anyone at the factory.

Anybody seen this before and can help?

Thank you in advance,
Mike
I think that you may not be realizing that the brakes are not locking- due to the physics of two axles, you simply cannot turn a tandem trailer by hand at all on any surface. You can only move the trailer straight back or forward once its removed from the vehicle..

Hi MIke

I have a Nitro Z19 with a tandem trailer and had a similar, but not identical problem. Because there are 4 wheels on the trailer, when you are trying to move the trailer out of a straight line, two of the tires are dragging on the floor (maybe all four depending how sharply you are trying to turn). A friend of mine and I tried to move the boat/trailer in his covered outdoor workshop (concrete floor) and it took all we had to move it. My solution (credit to YouTube videos) was to purchase two wheel dollies from Harbor Freight (pics attached). I put one on each front tire of the trailer when I want to move it and I can EASILY push the trailer tongue sideways (90 degrees) and I'm 79 YO.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, it might be worth a try, they'll issue you a refund within 30 days if it doesn't work out. I caught mine on sale for $89 apiece and they often go on sale for $99. Hope this helps, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1371.JPEG
    IMG_1371.JPEG
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_1372.JPEG
    IMG_1372.JPEG
    1.1 MB
I bought two dollies to remove the rear trailer wheels and it helped tremendously maneuvering it in the garage. This was a test to see how the dollies handled the load and they seem more than capable. Now, I'll watch them on-line to monitor the pricing and buy when they go on sale and use them for winter storage.

Currently I have to take my Tracker (new 4 months ago) to the dealership for a factory recall. Downer for sure, but I still love the boat.
I have a Nitro zv18 with tandem axle trailer. Due to the angle of my driveway I have to turn it sharp to back it in. What I do, which is a pain, is use a speed jack and lift each side up to raise each side ( tires) off the ground. It takes the pressure off and I can finish backing til I get it to where I can unhitch. Once I get it in final position I raise it again to make sure it relieves any pressure on the axles. I use a trailer valet to move it when unhitched.

Latest posts

Back