Backing up 2019 nitro z20 pro with dual axle trailer with surge brakes.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I get to the ramp and stop I go to the back of truck to insert the second pin the rear hole to prevent brakes from locking up and the second hole is not in sight of the hole in the trailer to insert the pin into. short of chocking the wheels pulling forward to get the holes to line up is there a simpler way to insert this pin. Once in a while if I have an awl I can can pry it back enough to get the pin in only if a little the inside hole was showing. Does anyone have any bright ideas that can help me out. Just an annoying issue and if I don't put in the pin the brakes will lock up 75% of the time.

It seems that your return spring on your surge brake actuator may be too weak or even broken. Sitting still on level ground, the pin holes should line up; pushed to that position by the return spring.

There may even be an adjustment on the return spring that may need to be set properly.

I am sure that the trailer has a back up solenoid that when you put it in reverse the solenoid stops the flow of fluid so you can back up . The trailer wiring should be a 5 pin connector for your truck. It's the blue wire for back up lights and brakes.

The trailer should have a pin on the connector that trips a solenoid to defeat break on backing up. If you have the round connector, its the middle pin. Some guys just run a wire from the receptor on the car or truck and tap into a backup light or even a running light.

On my 1 yr old Zv18 trailer shotty wiring from the factory (a bad connection right at the solenoid) was to blame for the same issue.

As shown in picture, I also have a 2019 Nitro Z20, trailer was recently just out of warranty, imagine that. I had to have a rebuild master cylinder replaced along with the solenoid. I have to say it works a heck of a lot better now than the original. Trailer outfit stated this actuator was no longer being manufactured, aren't we the lucky ones. $520 rebuilt repair with the solenoid in Fl. My master cylinder was leaking and when stopping and take off it slide back and forth making for a lot of jerking and banging. Not typical. Having been an over the road trucker the last thing you wanted was the king pin slamming back and forth against the jaws of the 5th wheel. I now have smooth take off and stop. I think it was defective from the get go..

My 2019 Z21 trailer is just out of warranty and my $378.00 brake actuator failed. All of my brake calipers are loose And the pads are not wearing properly. I contacted White water Marine, and they said they can do absolutely nothing for me because it’s out of warranty. I told them that these brakes were not installed properly from the factory. They still won’t do anything. I bought a new boat so I wouldn’t have issues like this. Hopefully Thayers Marine in Norwich Ct comes through for me.

My 2018 Z19 trailer actuator failed almost cooking the bearing grease from partially applied breaks on the road. Factory would not help since it is out of 1-yr warranty. BassPro charged me $463.00 for a new actuator. Do not know yet what installation will cost. Drained my brake fluid so I can go fishing without breaks.
IMG_0418.jpg

I have a single axle trailer and one of the brake caliper bolts came out while traveling. Hit a bump in the road caliper pivoted and locked up the wheel and trashed bearing on the spindle. Cost over $750 to fix due to trashing the spindle and hub. Had to buy a new axle from Tracker took 4 weeks to get axle. Be certain to check over trailer brake caliper bolts. My buddy found one missing in his after this happened to me.

My 2018 Z19 trailer actuator failed almost cooking the bearing grease from partially applied breaks on the road. Factory would not help since it is out of 1-yr warranty. BassPro charged me $463.00 for a new actuator. Do not know yet what installation will cost. Drained my brake fluid so I can go fishing without breaks.View attachment 1160
I purchased and installed the same actuator and I'm having same issues as before. I was told by a local trailer shop that they would never use that type of acuator and they'd be glad to install whatever type they use and whatever brake issues for $1,300. I refused that offer and I kick myself in the ass, because I'd at least have a piece of mind and a guarantee. .

My 2018 Z19 trailer actuator failed almost cooking the bearing grease from partially applied breaks on the road. Factory would not help since it is out of 1-yr warranty. BassPro charged me $463.00 for a new actuator. Do not know yet what installation will cost. Drained my brake fluid so I can go fishing without breaks.View attachment 1160
I had a similar experience, I’ve removed the calipers assemblies.

Latest posts

Back