Trailer Brakes locking up in reverse ONLY

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tippy

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the page here. I got a 2017 Z18 with the tandem-axle trailer. I’ve been trying to figure out why the brakes keep locking up when in reverse only. I checked my related fuses in my truck & none of them are blown. If I unplug the connector to my truck it doesn’t seem to do it. Trying to test anything I can to get them working while plugged in before I spend the money on something expensive

I had the same problem with my 2018 Z19 trailer. I can chock the wheels and pull forward a bit to open the brakes and put the hitch lock pin into the brake lockout hole, and then back up. The best solve is to move to 7-pin trailer cable and the center pin sends electricity to a solenoid in the brake assembly when in reverse to lock out the brakes. If you don't want to go that far, some guys tie into the reverse tail light or even running lights and do the same thing.

Hey guys new to the page here. I got a 2017 Z18 with the tandem-axle trailer. I’ve been trying to figure out why the brakes keep locking up when in reverse only. I checked my related fuses in my truck & none of them are blown. If I unplug the connector to my truck it doesn’t seem to do it. Trying to test anything I can to get them working while plugged in before I spend the money on something expensive
The brake actuators are failing in these trailers. Nitro changed the design for these actuators for 2020. Three newer Nitro’s including my 2019 Z21 and my buddies 2019 Z 20 are at the dealership right now because of our actuators failing. The Brake actuator failed and locked up his caliper and his wheel caught fire. He almost lost the boat. White Water Marine (The company that handles the claims) is covering these claims even though I’m 5 months out of warranty. Last month my leaf spring also snapped and went through my fiberglass fender. Nitro sent the dealership heavy duty leaf springs and two new fenders for my boat. Apparently they did not install strong enough leaf springs in the trailer from the factory. Nitro’s warranty completely sucks Most other boat manufacturers is at least three years for the trailer Nitro is only one year. It was a lot of back-and-forth and the company telling me they aren’t gonna do anything for me and finally they are doing the right thing.

Latest posts

Back