Whew! Heavy Work Travel Over - Alaska Vacation Tomorrow (Question for Guides)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
We're leaving for our Alaska trip in the morning.

My brother-in-law was kind enough to book us a guided king salmon fishing trip (river) on Friday. The Guide (a friend) was frustrated because it's the peak of the run and he didn't have anyone booked on Friday. My brother-in-law said, <i>"DON'T!..</i>book anyone until I talk to Mark and Rachel!" It's an 8-hour trip, with the equipment supplied by the guide service for $140 per person.

Of course, we accepted the invitation...after all, it's the PEAK of the run!!

My question is this: knowing some of you are guides, what should Rachel and I do to make this as enjoyable and fun for the guide as it will be for us? Is there an appropriate yet reasonable amount for a post-trip tip? Do we admit our king-salmon-fishing ignorance up front...or let him experience it first hand?

My boss took the digital camera, so all we'll have along is our 35mm pocket cam. When I get back, I'll scan the better pictures of the trip and post any that may be of interest to the group.

Gotta run; the alarm company is coming to do a good once over on our house system before we leave. I'll check back later this evening to read any responses or advice any of you may have.

MO

Tell him up front so he can accomodate to your specific needs. Have fun!!

Good question Mo. Last week while in Ontario Jill and I had a guided trip with the boys. Afterwards, we had no idea what to tip the guy. We gave him $20 (Canadian). That's all we had on us. I think we should have given him a little more. I just don't know.

Marke

Oh yeah, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!! :eek:)

most guides at Lake Fork charge $250 for a full day.. I feel if you catch fish and have a good time 20% is a good tip.... for two people, that $25 each.... well worth it for a good guide...

Kraig

Tell the guide in advance your expertise (or lack thereof) with specific tackle, and of course for the type of fishing you do.

Ask him what his expectations for the day will be. If you are comfortable with it, then just agree. If not, state your suggestions for change, and what you would like. I told our guide (on a recent trip) that it was extremely important for my wife to catch at least one nice fish. Not to worry about me, that her being happy was the most important thing to me.

Relax and enjoy the scenery, while having a great time. On our recent trip to WV (New River for smallies), that's what we did and it worked out great.

Tip. If the guide is an employee of the business, tip what YOU feel is reasonable. If the guide is the owner of the business (he gets ALL the money), then . . . .

In short, if it's your business and you reap all the rewards, why do you expect/deserve a tip? If you feel he/she has gone over and above the call of duty, then you decide what may be appropriate.

When I finished my trip to WV, I did not tip the guide. It was his business (sole owner), and I was the only trip he had the Memorial Day Weekend (and paid a preimum for weekend vs weekday trip). In addition, while it was a good trip, I did not think he provided any more than what was promised/agreed to. In fact, I thought that his equipment that we used (again - part of the deal), could have been in better shape and better maintained.

Have a GREAT trip. I'm envious!

Tex

Well, let's see....I am a guide AND I own my own business....So that must mean MO can just bring the title to his boat motor and trailer...I'll pick it up whenever.

Really,

You tip what you want. There is no minimum or maximum. If the guide has the personality of a wet dishrag (even if he puts you on fish) I wouldn't tip a lot. Now, catching fish is only one part of the experience. There are many other things you have to consider, Did you have fun? Did you catch fish? Did you feel safe the entire trip? Did you learn anything? Was the equipment in good shape? Did he supply food (good food, not PB&J)?

You should tip on the overall experience.

Let him know up front that you are novice and that you will not have your own gear. Have him tell you what he expects the day to be like. Get your required clothing/gear list from him. Usually, you will know at the end of the day what you feel like tipping. Don't stress out abot it either....If the guide is doing it for the money, he already has proven he is not very smart!! LOL

TOXIC

Tox,

One comment that he made on my trip, that I still wonder about is this.

While having our shore lunch (which was good), he made the following comment:

'If it would have been colder today, I would have brought the grill and we would have made some burgers for lunch.'

We wore jackets/windbreakers in the morning, and it never got over about 70 degrees. The roast beef sandwiches weren't bad, but the idea of fresh cooked burgers on the beach . . . .

Tex

I gotta ask what difference the air temp makes when you are grilling?? Sounds to me like he didn't want to mess with the grill. I dont provide grub and as a rule, it is usually the clients who supply the lunch for the guide. But I am also not doing float trips. Tex, it sounds like you had an ok trip but that the guy was just very close on his bottom line. You gotta have top notch gear and equipment and PLENTY of lures/bait. If I am taking out a crappie party (as in fish, lol) the last thing I want to do is run out of bait or lures. That is a cardinal sin in the guide business. That's why we have sponsors. I don't want you tossing all of my $7.00 SPRO cranks to the trees but it is part of doing business to lose a few. I have had clients bring their own gear and it is in pretty sad shape. They make statements like "I don't understand why my line breaks, it was just put on less that 2 years ago".

See what I mean?

TOXIC

I have fished with guides extensively from Canada, the great lakes, Florida and the Keys and into parts of the Carribean. My basic post trip tip has always been 20% sometimes a little more if the trip was better than expected (fish biting) or if he or she really went out of their way to put me/us on fish. Sometimes it hurts to cough up that 20% tip if the guy/girl was terrible and the fishing lousy but they still get the tip from me, it's just the way I am.

You are a good client smitty. Always remember the fish aren't always on (ocean fishing somewhat the exception). The key is that the guide gave 110% effort and he knows what he is doing. Once again, like smitty look at the overall effort and performance.

TOXIC

Toxic,

I believe that you are correct in your assessment. I think that he attempts to run his service very close to the bottom line. Whenever you run your own business, you have to pay attention to that, but on the ohter hand - if you sacrifce service to the customer, it will eventually take its toll.

As always, appreciate your insight from the 'other side' of the coin.

Tex

If you have a bad time, don't tip period. But anywhere from $20-$50 is customary. I have had estatic clients tip as much as $75 but they were also well to do clients so.....Be up front about your inexperience. Nothing frustrates a guide more than someone that talks the talk, but shows up and can't walk the walk. Be honest and he'll teach you and put you on fish. Be sure to post some pics. I can't imagine catching 40 lb fish! I really want to go to Alaska someday! Have fun.

Back