What would you buy next time?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
This isn't about your "dream boat", but rather if you were buying your current rig again, what would you differently? I guess this really boils down to what I've seen in the "current ride" thread on motors. There seem to be a lot of boats with engines that aren't very big. We all agree that Tracker advertises a nice price, but often with a boat bigger than the motor is capable of getting great speed with (such as a PT 185 with a 40hp motor).

I HAD a 99 Xpress x-56 with a 115 carbed on it and now have a 99 Nitro 911 with a 225 opti on it. Here's what I've learned:

The Xpress had a hook in the hull that caused it not to plane out as well as it should have with a 115. I also learned I don't want another carbed outboard. I learned that I don't like Xpress boats if you're going to be launching alone, because they have a VERY thin rub-rail that doesn't absorb the impact of banging against the dock while I'm loading the boat.

I've learned that fiberglass scratches pretty easily and you can't beach it anywhere you want for fear of the scratches that I don't fear on aluminum.

I've also learned that while 225 horses are nice for getting 60+mph, a big motor on a bass boat is no good for going slowly (barely on pad). My wife doesn't care for the speed or beating that 60mph gives you, so I try to keep it at 40 or below (my x-91 loses bottom at 40 too), but it's trimmed all the way down and porpoises (because it wasn't made to go 40).

I almost bought a Pro Crappie 175 with a 40 horse on it, and I am SO glad I didn't for the waters and types of weather I fish in.

I have an xpress now and would buy another xpress in the future. Have had no complaints with the current xpress.

I learned a lot buying my first boat and, if I had to do it over again, I'd do almost everything exactly the same. The only difference is that I'd try to buy the boat through my local dealer rather than one 200 miles away.

I maxed out the horsepower, but doing it over I'd get the EFI rather than the carbed motor, and I'd equip it with a stainless steel prop. I'd also try to max out the power of the trolling motor. My current one is sufficient except on days with a steady, strong wind. Then it's a dog.

Tracker took away the option of the dual console, so I'd have to give that up (Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!). I'd also replace both the front and rear fishing seats with pneumatic, tiltable butt seats. And, I'd figure out a way to install a waterproof AM/FM stereo system.

Mostly, I learned that you really have to THINK about what you want, what you can afford and where you're going to store and use the boat. You've all heard this before....the other brand of boat I considered would have been too wide to fit in the rental stalls at the resorts on our favorite lake. Imagine the frustration of buying a brand new boat, taking it to the lake, and then discovering that you can't park it in the boat slips!!

The only thing I may have done is to save up another 2k and gotten the deep v 17.

Rich D

The wife and I have been discussing this at length here lately.

The previous boats have all been on the dealer floor when I bought them. The most recent boat (the 901) just "talked to me" when I saw it.

The primary thing I would change:

1. THe next boat will be a "special order"... meaning it will have the options I want from the factory, not what happens to be there that the dealer packaged up. For example, Guess chargers vs. DualPro, and probably a bigger trolling motor.

2. The next boat will be decided on after I take a comparable model out on the water for some tests. Storage will be checked with organization of MY equipment in mind.

In all honesty, now that I have the 901 (and it is a great boat that I am very happy with) the next boat is more of a lateral move instead of an upgrade. I can't yet see the need to move beyond the 20' mark, and the 901 has a wider beam than others.

I agree Mike about Tracker gettin' them in the door with the prices. I would have gotten a temp gauge on my LCR...when I got my NEWER boat I forgot to add it on and definitely would have stepped up to a Lowrance or comparible. I've always said,"If you can afford it...MAX it out"!

TEE

Even if I have to wait several years, my next boat will be one of Mac's Rangers custom ordered to my spec's.

Or Curtis' 901.

Marke

The only thing I didn't get on my 'new' 95 Stratos that I wanted, was a little bit more in length. It comes in at 17' 8", and would be a little happier at around 19' or so. Not so much with ride, but more with rod locker and deck space.

Otherwise, it had/has just about everything that I was looking for.

Tex

The new Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket - rigged with saltwater trolling motor.

Need to go after the Blues on the Cape and smallies on Winni.

Rich

real quick as I am on the way to my class reunion, the only thing that I would change on the current boat is that Cecil live closer!!!!! Really, Cecil was cool to buy from and the baot is PERFECT for me. Had it out again today on the river, was running North by 0540, water was like glass, the Osprays were out flying, the minnows were jumping...... Whoops I strayed from the topic. Really, would change nothing on the setup or anything.

Carlos

Not going to be a popular answer but....I would have bought the Triton or Ranger fish and ski. I couldn't buy the Ranger because it had to fit in the garage. The Triton was a little more expensive but I think it would have been worth it because of the problems I have had.

I really like my 882 the way its setup now. I got mine used so it came the way it was. if i got new i would have done different colors, hydraulic steering and a adjustable jackplate instead of the fixed one and mabye a keelguard installed form the factory. everything else ive added i would rather just do myself anyway.

My rule is the boat has to be previously owned. There are some good boats in the 1-2+ yrs old for 50% of the drive out price of a new model. I am not stuck on Nitro, I do like the Nitros, I would also consider Champion, Skeeter or a Ranger.

Here goes:

- 19ft Minimum, I never seem to fish calm waters.

- 200 HP Minimum, Prefer Mercury Optimax. Cause getting a Yamaha fixed is a pain, and i know.

- 109# Tour Edition Motor Guide if possible. Cuz i have fished more than a few days with 30+ MPh wind.

- Dual Console.

- Hydraulic Jack Plate.

- Definetly Fiberglass.

- White or black Hull.

I currently drive a 2001 Nitro 911 w225 Optimax, with all of the above options. It is one of the better rides out there.

Teri,

What kind of problems have you had with the boat that wasnt the dealer?

Leak in hull, fishfinder, blown TM circuit, battery.

I maxed out the HP on my current boat and will do the same on the next, whatever that may be!! My next boat will most likely not have a back seat!

Teri, Nothing wrong with Tritons and Rangers, but if you didn't get the Nitro, you probably wouldn't have found your way to this website!! Then where would we be??

Bob G.

Actually, same thing I did last time -- custom order. Which is what I did -- sure wish it would hurry up and get here. From my perspective, the hardest part is deciding the compromises you are willing to make since every boat is a compromise. I really liked the 898, but it is too long for my garage and so is the 929. Not keeping my boat in my garage is not a compromise I am willing to make -- and I don't like any of the alternatives. Plus, when the wives go along, I need to seat 4 people. The 911 will do that and will fit in my garage so that's what I ordered, even though it was not my first or second choice - in fact I didn't much like the looks of it at first; however, I am sure I will love her just like every boat I've had, if she would just hurry up and get here.....

If I had a place to store it, I'd get the Ranger 2180 Bay. Same could be said of a 911. Mostly, my upgrade desires are:

- Ride

- Flexibility (switch from Bass to Stripers and back again)

- Speed (can never have enough)

- Storage (can never have enough)

But, to keep things reasonable and still be able to park the boat next to the house, an 882 is a much more likely upgrade.

Gotta say that I love my 700LXDC. It looks good, it gets me around with a fair turn of speed, and unless it's really rough out, the ride is very good for a boat it's size. The 115 Merc, for all of it's 2+2 quirkiness, is a good motor. Last time I fished, I ran about 30 miles at 50+mph, trolled for a couple of hours, and I used about $12 worth of gas.

I basicly got everything I wanted when I got my 898. It is my dream boat. I guess I wold have put a bigger TM on it and auto timers on the livewell pumps but other than that, wouldn't change a thing. But, if Nitro quits making the 898 like they did with the 896 twice. I will no longer own a Nitro. If this happens and I get ready for a new one boat it will be a Stratos, rigged the same way as my 898. KENNY

I would still opt for tin... so I would be down to a choice between a Tracker Tundra, a Lubnd Pro V and "maybe" an Alumacraft. Only if my career (fishing) took a turn for more big/open water tournaments (Erie) would I consider glass... Then it would be a Patriot or a Warrior... both very serious big water hulls... Everything is a compromise because if you get enough storage you are probably in an aircraft carrier not a fishing boat! But the new 21' Tundra 225 or 250 EFI or (if I could do it that way) an OMC new E-Tec...and from there a 100lb + trolling motor a T-8 kicker... walk through

Mike - I'll assume for this discussion that we have the same $$, other wise I think doesn't jive for a "what would you buy if you had to do it all over again".

Me, I would have bought the EXACT same boat, Pro Crappie 175. I have yet to see for the price point I was at ($10k out the door) anything that can touch it for speed, handling, comfort of 2 adults and 2 little kids, fishability (2 livewells and 2 baitwells so ANY kind of fishing works), pulls a tube/knee board fine and had most of the options I wanted. Oh and since it was my first boat I wanted new under warranty!

if I had to do it over, i'd probably put a few extra $$ into a bigger motor, maybe the 75hp if I could swing it (wait on some of the extras and drop the extended warranty 'cause this this in BULLET PROOF and i'll never end up with a claim).

Now if I was buying replacement boat TODAY, i'd do it differently! I'd buy USED first off, I now know enough information and enough folks (here and localy) that can help me week out good/bad boats. I'd probably go with a 185/188 fish/ski or a Tahoe Q3 Fish/Ski. Eli is 3 now and a MUCH better fisherman and less apt to fall/jump off the boat then Noah was at 3 (that comes from being in the boat from 6 months old on!!!).

Trep

XMYTRUCK - First come on and join up it's FREE! And you get all these COOL icons!!

Yes the 185 Sport would have less fishing deck/space, but it would hold more people and let the older folks (grandparents) had a nice bench to sit on for a boat ride. The 175 is paid for so its not GOING ANYWHERE unless i get a HUGE promotion!!!

Not a hunter, and that deer is a neighboorhood pet, there is a herd of 10 that run the corp property behind the house (and all over the neighboorhood), but that one was raised from 2 days old by my neighboor after the mother was hit by a car. So its VERY Friendly like to be pet!!

I'd either stay with the TV-18 or up to the Avalanche.

Definitley the 150 hp with jackplate and SS prop. Max out the trolling motor and upgrade the Hummingbird, add a finder up front. Somehow or other add a second livewell or upgrade to the 9 series wells.

If a year ago when I bought my first I knew all that I have learned from this website I might have shopped around a little more and found a glass boat that would fish a little better in the Oklahoma wind. Other than that I think I scored pretty good considering all I knew about boats was dry side up.

But you know if I had bought a differant brand of boat, I may have never wandered on to this site and made 1416 new friends.

Harpo

I would have bought something a little more "multipurpose" than my DC 170. Although my little boat does it all I would perfer higher sides, longer and more hp. Not being a tournament fisherman anymore makes me appreciate the big lake rigs more and more and something with more shade than my boonie hat.

fatrap

I'd still get the Pro Deep V 16, as we're still real happy with it, but I think if doing it over instead of upgrading from 40hp to 60, I'd have gone ahead and maxed out to the 75hp, that's about it, the other things like upgrading the Hbird unit I'd still do after the sale like I did... egMike

Latest posts

Back