WHAT THE??????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I decided to take the family out fishing yesterday for some relaxation. Michelle was going to meet me at the ramp with the kids, so I took the boat for a ride to check something before they got there. As I was idling out of the channel, I see this Champion in the reeds with his TM up. I asked if they were in the Open out of Mallets and they were.

I asked how they were doing and they responded, "Not so good."

Their new remote controlled foot pedal MG had died on them. So they had to just use the big motor to get near spots and fish it. I knew the feeling. So I told them about a spot for good smallies (nothing major, and not one of my money holes, but a good spot for them to cull up) and even told them what bait to throw. They didn't have any, so I gave them a bag. I even told them exactly how to fish it. So they went over.

I pick Michelle and the kids up and we went over to see how they were doing.

I pulled up and the guy in the back says, "Man, thanks a lot! I already pulled a 3+ lber out and on your bait."

Then as we're talking, he gets another good fish over 3 lbs.

As I'm puttering along, I see this nice 3 lber on a rock. So I threw out a marker buoy on it for them, and told them, "Hey, there's a nice fish right here, I'll get out of the way so you can fish him."

We had even talked about how we knew a lot of the same people. The driver was a licensed guide so I offered him some work, as I need more guides, and he said yes.

Cool, so I move a 1/4 mile off and go to shore with the kids to swim. Those two a-holes, took my marker buoy and left!

They took MY buoy. And like I'm not going to be able to figure out who they are???

I know 75% of the guys that fish that club. And I don't imagine there were too many guys fishing out of a blk and white champion bought so recently they hadn't switched over the registration from NY to VT, with a 225 EFI, and busted MG TM on the bow. I THINK I'll be able to find out who they are.

That's it, other than friends, I won't EVER give anyone tourney help again!!!

And just how were they supposed to find you to return it?

Wait a bit - if you and they know so many people in common and you offered him work, it may well show up in the mail.

Rob,

Call me at 867-5309. HA! You missed your opportunity to call!!! I'll be fishing with that guy on Wednesday!!

Bob G.

I was thinking the same thing Staci, they didn't want the marker to be taken by someone else so they caught the fish, picked up the marker and plan to get it back to you.

Now, it could be the other way, but I think the markers I use are like 3/$9 at BPS, so they are not pricey. But, since you said they were VERY friendly and knew a lot of the same people, why assume they stole it?? They probably didn't see you 1/4 mile down lake with the family. I'd wait a week/2 before I blow up.

Trep

I TOLD them I was coming back for it when they were done with the spot. And I was in sight the whole time. I looked up when they fired their motor up and watched them take off. They could have run it over to me in less than 2 minutes.

Calm down..... They may not have heard or remembered you saying you'd be back for it..... "In sight" to you, because you knew exactly where they were fishing, could be an entirely different thing to them. It's difficult to tell one boat from another at 100 yds.

People just don't steal cheap little marker bouys, especially if they know who the owner is and that person did them a favor.

Tell you what, Rob..... I've got a couple sitting at home that I don't use because I don't have a boat at the moment..... E-mail me your address and I'll send them to you to replace the one you lost.

Rob,....quit sweatin' the small stuff!! So you're out a 3 dollar bouy,.....wasn't the time with your family and the ability to be a hero to a couple fellow angler's worth that??? Keep the focus man,......."Pro's" don't get P-O'd over losing a bouy,....

Be like TEE...Shake it off man:) I have to chew it all the time...Just Chew Chew Chew:)And I'm not a Pro like you!LOL

I hear ya guys, it's not the $5 buoy, it's the principle of the whole thing.

I don't need any more markers, I have plenty, it just really rubbed me the wrong way that's all. It was like a slap in the face.

Mac, I'm with ya, the time with the family was awesome. The kids each got a turn to drive....and NATURALLY started fighting over who would drive next! LOL As a parent, I've come to the conclusion that kids will fight....no matter what! LOL

I took the kids to one of Daddy's "secret" spots so we could get into some bigger fish. I was throwing topwater so they could see the explosion and it didn't take long and a 4 lb smallie just crushed it and came out of the water like 2 feet. Cody had been wanting to go home up until then. However, once recharged seeing that, he started winging his little floating minnow back out there and I kept the boat moving so his bait had some action as he can't really reel it fast enough to impart enough on his own. Well didn't he tie into one a few minutes later but it shook off. Only a few casts later though, he caught is own perch, start to finish.

You guys better watch out, in another 15 years, there's going to be 2 new serious contenders on the trail. Just hope they go easy on the old man.

Plus it was nice to be out there with my wife in a bikini!!! LOL We got a lot of stares....and I don't think they were looking at the Ranger.

I always tell em' my spots Rob;) They're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over there:)

One more "maybe". Maybe they're just as dumb as I am and didn't pull up the marker buoy, but got it stuck in the lower unit or trolling motor and didn't know they'd taken it with them. NEVER underestimate the stupidity of someone else -- yeah, I know, their TM wasn't working, but they could have been stupid enough to get the marker buoy wrapped up in it regardless.

Then, it could just be that they thought the fish was relating to the marker buoy as structure, couldn't get it to hit, moved the buoy, hoping that would make the fish follow them back to the weigh in and they could just carry the buoy to weigh in and the fish would just keep following :).

What you don't let your kids know where you fish??? Are you scared the're going to stand at kick off yelling "my dad is fishing Duck Creek!!!!" ;) ;)

BJ

Buzz talked to them, and you guys were right. They left it, and apparently someone else grabbed it that I didn't see. I just didn't see anyone else there is all, but it's totally possible. I just got peeved at the idea is all. I've been burnt a few too many times trying to help people and am now the skeptic.

But I do hope they did well. I am a little concerned that I turned them onto a bait that nobody else is really throwing right now, but oh well. By the time it totally catches on, I'll be onto something newer and better.....the advantages of having more time and experience on the water.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It takes guts to admit when you're wrong.

Maybe the 3 pounder took it :). It's always nice to know that SOME people aren't as bad as everyone else.

what i really want to know is...

WHAT WAS THE BAIT???

Rob,

Me to, what was the bait you told them to use, considering I will not be in your area anytime and you sure wouldn't be going to NJ to fish can you tell me, I'll keep a secret. Anything for those smallies!

Chris

Guys, I'd love to tell you, but not here on the web where other anglers that I have to compete against in the next month can come read about it. E-mail me privately and I'll be happy to turn you onto a great bite for finicky smallies.

I know...I know!!!!!

A ball of Velvetta cheese and Bazooka bubble gum under a red and white plastic float.

;>)

Harpo

Actually it was a bubblegum fluke dyed chartreuse and then marked up with a bubblegum dye marker. It has to be garlic/anise oil/shad/craw scented and a suspending/sinking/floating kind.

Back