Versatrack Question....Downriggers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Wilson

Reaction score
Is the Versatrack strong enough to mount Downriggers,? I see mounts on Amazon and eBay for small Downriggers and am wondering if that's a good or bad idea?

Depends what your fishing for is my answer. Walleye, Muskie or smaller species I wouldn't have any fear. In fact I use Railblaza rod holders for those without issue and they are plastic bases. If you're talking Salmon or lake trout of bigger species, you're going to have to get someone's opinion that fishes for those for a informed answer. I will say most pics I see of downriggers are mounted on the gunnels and not on the versa track so that may be an indication. Good Luck!.

I would probably mostly be going for Walleye, but maybe some of the smaller salmon species in Lake Michigan, too. Once in a blue moon, maybe the big salmon or lake trout up around Manistee.

Thanks!

I'm like you in that I think there is a chance there might be damage done to the track with enough force. I'm thinking I would bite the bullet and mount something on the gunnel if I was going to be serious about fishing with down riggers. As rarely as I troll, I use railblaza rod holders for the walleye, muskie I'm chasing.

I'm like you in that I think there is a chance there might be damage done to the track with enough force. I'm thinking I would bite the bullet and mount something on the gunnel if I was going to be serious about fishing with down riggers. As rarely as I troll, I use railblaza rod holders for the walleye, muskie I'm chasing.
On the subject of rod holders, are those Railblaza rod holders strong enough for trolling with crank baits with medium action rods? I've been looking at those and at Cannons.

Latest posts

Back