Update on Project Livewell Switcheroo EXTREMELY LONG

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
Well...since I decided to finally rip out the OLD aluminum livewells from my OLD Tracker, things have progressed well. Taking the deck off was the easiest part. But that dang ol' frame work my father and I built for the deck was a pain. Good thing we are going to reengineer it anyway because I don't think those splinters would fit back in the back in the right place and have the proper support. I have 4 new pictures in My Library. Deck1.jpg shows the area of concern with my PFD and misc storage hold and the POS original livewell. Deck2.jpg shows the same thing, but the decking is removed and you can see guts. Deck3.jpg is just a close up on the livewell. You can't see it, but after the hard removal process (drilling out rivets without drilling through the hull) we found out why the livewell wouldn't hold water. We originally thought it was the rivets were just loose...which was true, but no, the main cause of the water into my bilge area the 7 inch separation of the old weld used to keep the bottom plate attached to the side plate. Deck4.jpg shows the picture with ALL the guts removed down to the floor. I inserted some measurements just for you all to see the area I'm working with for a new livewell. I originally was thinking of a flimsy Rubbermaid Tote from Wal-Mart that run the size of about 32"X19"X15". Then on a hunch, I did a search on eBay.com and came across the item in the picture livewell.jpg in My Library. SUPPOSEDLY this is a molded poly livewell that Lund has used in some of their boats. The wonderful part of this auction win for me is that this livewell already has the divider slots molded into the plastic and has a bottom drain built in. I thought at first the diminsions were too small for what I wanted, but I figured it was big enough to hold a limit of basses (i know that's spelled wrong). Now I have around 9" of space I can now put in another slot type storage bin for my PFDs to back in. Now, just waiting for the livewell to arrive in the mail. I'll have more pictures for you weirdos as I begin the rebuilding process. Don't forget!! I also will be installing a cooler in the rear deck where the rear livewell use to be. Yes, I said use to be because I've already pulled the rear deck top and pulled out the livewell. I'll end this post now. It'll probably be cut off for being so long anyway. Sorry for having to read this garbage.

Mike Harrison

No Mike, that stuff is the only way to survive the durn fever. I like to work on my boat, but the shop is full right now, and my boat snowed in under tarps and frozen solid to the ground in the back yard! LOL I tried to go sit in it and make motor noises, but my lips froze in the "vroom vrooom" position. LOL

yeh, keep it coming as this info is interesting and may really help someone else out tryin to make a repair.

jd

Latest posts

Back