Ugly Scratch in Gelcoat part II

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Sim, JD, anyone else

Here is the pictures of the area

Okay the picture might be a little big but I did it on purpose to show the area. It does not look that bad in person, the picture makes it look a lot worse.

:(:(:(

ouch1.jpg

ouch2.jpg

yup... that looks like a scratch and a poorly performed coverup to me.

Is the hazing on top or under the clear coat? (that's how to determine which side it's coming from).

I'm going to go find the stuff that JD mentioned... I've got scratches that will make you want to keep that lil' thing as a beuty mark!

Sim, I think the hazing is from underneath, but I am not sure, I assume that's worse than on the surface :unsure:.

My biggest concern is if this will get worse and spread? And along the lines as what you are saying, I'm going to get a lot of scratches in the life of that boat so I guess this is just the beginning.

CJL

I don't know how much "worse" it is... but I can bet it'll be harder to cure.

If it's truly a "crack" and not a 'scratch', sealing it should help stop any further spread. The assumption here is that the 'crack' is deep enough to allow moisture/air to get between the clear coat/metalflake layers.

But, based on your last description, I'm certainly out of my area of expertise.

(you'd think if it was a crack, Ranger might be willing to assist in repairs?)

So Mac,

Do I need to fix it Mac, or can I just leave it alone? It does not bother me to much, but want to take care of it if I need to .

CJL

Personally,.....I'd get it fixed if you plan on keeping the boat for a long time......it'll only get worse (the discoloration will continue to spread) over time. Depending on what your deductable is...let that be the guide as to whether you pay for it yourself OR turn it into the insurance and then just pay the deductable. It "looks" like an easy fix for a good glass person,...@ $300-500 maybe......just a guess.

Mac

Tom, I will most likely be there for your weigh in. So you never noticed the blemish when you seen the boat, or yuor just not looking close enough, what kind a freind is that? Just kidding :lol:

I will show you it the next time.

Does Harvey have a glass guy?

Monte cannot find anyone to fix hi Ranger, he's not a happy person right now, LOL.

I still can't beleive someone could not see that big &*^ Ranger in front of them?

Going to MC on Thursday, lucky man.

Going to the righ I assume?

LOL @ TomMac, you should give him a call and ask him if it's still 22 1/2 ' long or did the motorcycle shorten it. :eek::eek::lol::p:D

I think Monte was told that he cannot use Harvey because it would void the hull warranty since Harvey is not authorized for hull repair??

Artie is claiming spots on MC? LOL

You know the big point after the rock jetty? Well remember that spot I told you about that's like a little cut/cove before the timber? I bet that spot is great for drop shotting, and don't forget the rip rap wall after the point near the pump house, nobody fishes there. HMMMM:unsure:

Ahhhh, what do I know anyway.

My wife went to Wallyworls to get me more pinkish Tiki Stiks, SOLDOUT!!!!!!!! :eek:

I bet Monte bought them all.

I can not tell from picture but see my last post on your post from yesterday

JD

Back