Strange water in bilge situation...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK the first month or 2 of this year I figured I had a leak somewhere. When I would get home i'd get about a gallon of water out of my bilge through the plug. So I put the boat in the driveway and filled her up!! Only place I could find any water comming out was the livewell drain hole, so I figured I might have a hole/break in the hose between that fitting and the livewells.

Didn't want to tear out the decks, so I filled up the livewell, let some water drain out and then plugged the fitting at the transom, so water was held in the hose. Watched, waited.... no leaks into the bilge.

So I am confused.

Then... The last 3 trips i've actualy USED the front Livewell with FISH and Water, and all 3 times ZERO water in the bilge (yes I took the plug out of the transom fitting before the trips!!! LOL).

So I wonder IF I have a problem or not???

Trep,

I am trying to remember where I had read about water coming in under the top rail.I think the fix was to seal it up with silicone where the rail meets the outside of the hull.Water splashes up the sides and comes under the rail.

I believe it had to do with Tracker tin boats.

Does the water come in mostly after running around alot?

Or if you just sit and fish?

I'll see if I can find what I am thinking of.

What about around the through hull fitting for your livewell drain?

Do you have a kooler in the boat that drains into the bottom???????

Trep, if you are getting water after running the lake, take a look at the very front of your boat where the reinforcement cap goes on. Also where the sides meet the front corners at the junction of the top of the gunwale. Chances are, this is where it's coming from. Especially since you've ruled out the livewell. Just fill up any openings with silicone or 3M 5200. I had to do this on my TV-18 and no water in the bilge after 4 1/2 years.

Bruce M

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 882.THE BILGE AREA WOULD FILL UP WITH WATER. I TOOK OFF THE ACCESS PANEL IN THE FLOOR BEHIND THE TANK AND FILLED IT UP WITH WATER.SAME THING WATER FLOWED OUT OF THE LIVE WELL DRAIN.WHAT I FOUND WAS THE LIVE WELL PUMP HAS 4 MOUNTING SCREWS UNDER THE BOTTOM THE SCREWS WERE STRIPPED OUT CAUSING WATER TO ENTER THE BILGE AREA.DEALER HAS THE PUMP. IT WAS SENT TO TRACKER FOR THEM TO SEE. HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING AS OF TODAY.REPLACED PUMP MYSELF ALL IS FINE.

Steve - I remember the first year or 2 of the all-welded 175/185 folks had problems with the caulking (or lack of) under the gunalls, but have not had this problem yet in 5 years that I can remember.

ON the livewell drain fitting, I thought of that too, but filled the boat up tilted her back so I could see that fitting inside was under water and nothing!!

JR - Nope, I do use the rear livewell as a cooler but with ice packs and it's always plugged up with a plug.

Bruce - I'll have to look at the fittings and see, I do have the 5200 sealant from doing the livewell plug fitting.

I thought it was the drain plug fitting, so I completly

replaced that in March.

What I can't figure out is WHY if I fill the livewell (front one) i get NO water in the bilge???

HMMMMM????

I would be happy if the "S.S. Sieve" only had a gallon at the end of the day.LOL

Steve

Trep - I've seen people launch their rigs with just enough momentum to slap a wave over the transom before leaving the bunks, putting that water in their bilge. A steep angle at the ramp (above or below the surface) greatly enhances this. Could this be your culprit?

Back