Sport 175 trailer loading?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a 2000 nitro sport 175 fish and ski with a merc 90 on the back.

My question on loading it back on the trailer. How far up does the boat need to go onto the trailer. Right now I get the hook on the front of the the boat within 2" of the front roller. Thats as far as I can wench it up without fear of breaking something.

The rule I grew up with was that the trailer bunks should extend passed the transom so the weight of the boat is supported by the transom instead of the bottom of the boat. On this boat, the transom has a "recess" of about 7" near the keel where the plug and livewell intake are. The trailer bunks extend passed that by 4" but the outside bunks are about 3" short of the transom and this is what is concerning me.

I'm currently running the winch belt below the front roller. Should I be running the belt OVER the from roller instead? Seems like that would jam the clasp between the roller and the keel of the boat though. :huh:

thanks

thanks

Mike - you're understanding is correct. You need to have the bunks fully supporting the boat under the transom. Sounds like everything would fit. Given the bunks, I suspect you need to power load the boat all the way up until the bow eye hits the front roller. You've got the winch strap correct (under the roller). Now you just need to get the bow eye to touch that roller (with the strap underneath).

Power loading involves ensuring the boat is on the trailer straight and then using the motor to power the boat all the way up to the roller. It takes some practice to feel comfortable with that technique. The way I've done it is that I slowly maneuver the boat onto the submerged trailer until it just sits on the bunks and lines up. Then with the motor tilted up a bit (and everything still lined up straight), I give the engine gas to move it up the bunks until the bow eye hits the roller. The reason to keep the engine tilted is that as the boat moves up the bunks, the bunks will lift the bow and lower the rear end. You don't want to bottom out the motor as you load.

If you're really uncomfortable, the other way is to winch up (as you've been doing). To get that all the way to the roller, you may have to winch up as far as you can then back the trailer into the water a bit more to float the boat more and winch the rest of the way. The problem with that is you risk floating the boat out of line with the bunks in the rear, but if you're careful, it can work. Power loading is still the best way.

Good luck.

The center bunks are supposed to be beyond the transom. The side bunks dont.....

Try backing the empty trailer far enough in the water to wet all of the bunks, then pull it forward until you get it in the right position for power loading. I pull mine forward until the top third of the tires are out of the water. This will vary depending on the slope of the ramp.

I pull mine in until the tops of the fenders are about 1" above the water.

I would say the ramp has average slope.

I have the 2001 Sport 175. Bought the entire package new. My bunks fit with boat loaded, just as you describe yours. I have never experienced a problem (moderate to frequent use). No signs of stress. However, I have no problem loading the boat fully to the front roller. Depending on ramp, I can power (easilly) to roller. Sometimes I just power to within a few inches and then winch it to roller, also easilly. Winch strap is under. I've found that my boat loads best with @ top 1/3 of fenders above water. That allows the boat to settle nicely onto bunks aligned straight.

If you are having difficulty loading easilly, might I suggest these to assist. I don't use them but, they get good reviews. Also, note the last 2 photos in my library for bunk/transom view.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_1072_225010007_225000000_225010000_225-10-7

Each boat is a little different on loading/unloading but, once you find the sweet spot..it'll makes things much nicer.

We even have some flat ramps around here that the wifey knows exactly how deep to go and I just roll up to the bump, shut er' off', raise the motor and in the parking lot before you can say "set the hook";)

Thanks,

I think I'm just shy about gunning the motor to get the boat all the way on. I get it started then jump out and wench it as high as I can. This usually gets the hook about 3" form the roller.

I'll try getting it further on next time.

Thanks firedog, at least I know that its probably not damaging the boat sitting like that with me jumping in and out of it.

Latest posts

Back