Smallies

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Ok, I have never caught a smallie bigger than my hand.

This weekend I may try to go out to a local lake that is stocked with smallies and try to catch one.

What should I try?

Thanks!

BJ

OOPS didn't see the other post below about smallie fishing. I will read throught it....If there is anything else you want to pass along to me that will be great too.

BJ

I use rooster tails here in Ozark streams. Brown or gray are my favorite colors.

I also drop shot wooley buggers at the heads of holes where the current from the stream forms and underflow.

But I've never caught one much over a pound and a half or two.

P.S.

Yeah! What Bob said!

What is a wooley bugger? I have seen several posts about them lately. Can you post a pic?

They are really intended to be used on fly rods - but I prefer to tie them weighted and fish them on ultra-light or light spinning tackle. I primarily fish them for trout but also find them effective for smallies in streams and bluegill and crappie in lakes.

E-mail me your address, BJ, and I'll send you a few!

These are tied on a #6 - 3x long hook.
wooleybugger.jpg

With smallmouth, big bait = big fish, you go throwing wolley buggers, beaded nymphs, clouser minnows or any fly you are gonna, for the most part catch dinks and trout the size of minnows. Now throw some big flies like a sculpin and you might get some size. There is a technique called "float and fly" where some guys catch some keeper smallies in the winter and during a tough bite. Remember that smallies like higher oxygen content than largemouth which is why they are so previlant in fast moving streams and deep cold lakes. Find them and fish for them like a bass because that is what they are. Personally, I like big 4 inch tubes and topwaters at the right time.

TOXIC

Learn spinners & tubes....Say it with me..."Spinners & Tubes":) Seriously...I'm sure Rob will chime in soon but, these are definitely two baits that work from North to South & East to West. Cranks would fall maybe in-between depending on time of year and activity.

Slow rollin' a 1/2 oz. Chart&White spinnerbait down a little deeper than everyone else will definitely get your arm broke by them mean ol' brownfish!

BTW...I agree if your fishin' streams Rooster Tails are Hard to Beat! Same basic colors but, smallies in streams don't seem to be as color specific.....
Picture2.jpg

TOX -

May be true of smallies BUT..... I hate to tell you how many LARGE trout I've caught on #6 woolies and how REALLY LARGE trout I've seen caught on nymphs and midges in the #18 to #24 size!

(I've never used anything smaller than an 18 'cuz I don't have the manual dexterity to tie anything on my live that is tht small!)

me!

We are talking lake Smallmouth not stream trout. Trout eat flies because they live in streams and eat smaller prey (regardless of the size of the trout, I know Browns get huge). Heck, they catch 300lb tarpon on flies but that is not what we are talking about. It just so happens that lake smallies and big river smallies eat big prey including shiners and craws. It all depends on the water you are fishing. Think you can go to St. Clair, Erie, Champlain or Dale Hollow and catch smallies on flies? Ain't gonna happen unless you are an expert, get some sinking line and know exactly how to handle a flyrod.

TOXIC

Live shiners or soft craws are hard to beat when it gets tough:)

Now I'm gonna be like some and dig up an older pic but it is smallies in deep water on a tube. Just happens to be my 2 best. Kinda like a "put up or shut up" type of thing. Rob posted a couple of toads, TEE posts some toads and that gives a little credence to the method and the bait.

2big.jpg

Those tubes seem to really shine in the Big Lakes like Erie and St.Calir but, I can't seem to do that at the Hollow.

BTW Tox....Gotta' love those Brownfish eh"? Hopin' to head to Erie soon and hit the Islands:)

You interested?

I'm savin my lunch money to go see Mac, mini, Marke, and the rest of the Michigan Mafia with CIII this September. If gas prices don't come down, I'll have to take out a second mortgage to get up there. I will get my first taste of smallmouth in July when I go to Wisconsin. Then again in Sept. sometime with the "crew". Smallies are hands down my favorite fish to catch. I am lucky that I have the Shenandoah River close to me where a 100 fish a day is pretty common. Smaller ones but the occasional 2.5 - 3 lb'er thrown in. Then the trips to Champlain to do some toad stickin for the big boys are the gravy!! The guys I have gone with are getting too competitive so, CIII and I decided to do a different road trip. I really want to do the Hollow also. Have boat will travel!!LOL

TOXIC

We usually do the Hollow around mid to late October if your interested in hookin' up:) I'd like to get up there where Rob's at but, Bass Island and Kelly's are so close....

FISH ON!

Let's see how my Guide business does this summer and I might just give it a whirl. I know CIII will go and he and I have talked about doing Dale Hollow. I have a friend in Lexington who has been bugging the crap outta me to come south. How long do you stay and where?

TOXIC

Me!- I like the look of those. When we go to Table rock we usually try to get away to Tanneycommo for a day or so to trout fish. I will most definatly try those out for trout!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't post that pic Tox....get it right you flamethrower you! LOL

I have NO need to verify or validate my knowledge of smallies or Champlain here any more.

Hey, you and pudding are two things that should NEVER....EVER be mixed! Even in a sentence. Talk about a holocaust.

Come on Rob...PROVE IT:)!!! LOL Hey...why don't all us SmallyAholics hook up sometime down there? Maybe next Spring? Fall is good but, you gotta' follow bait sometimes so it can be tougher but, bigger fish:)

Tox....we usually go for 3 or 4 days(maybe more depending on weather and the bite) and stay right by the dam. Just spittin' distance from Cedar Hill.

If you've never been...it's a treat! The TVA hit a home run with that lake and it's just keeps gettin' better with that slot...One under 16" and One over 21":)

Take that.. "you people that want to kill them ol' brownfish"!

Down "there" where? I want to go to Dale Hollow so bad, I'm thinking about using some vaca time and skipping a BFL to go this fall if I can swing the GAS!!! LOL I NEEEEED a 7+ lb smallie or my head's gonna 'splode!

Rob..It's down thar! And over thar yonder ways....ya' know;)

Did you mean Dale? That's what I was asking. If'n you meant Pickwick.....this yankee can't go that far less thar's money to be made to cover 'spenses.

Yeah..I meant Dale:) That lake holds a place close to my heart.....now where is it?

If you made it as far as Virginia, I'd consider lettin you ride in the new truck Robay, I'd even consider pullin the NITRO down there!!

TOXIC

Oh geeesh, riding in a CHEVY with a NITRO in tow.....to fish Hollow????? Let me get back to ya! LOL

My GM goes back into the shop next week to fix all the leaks. Oil, coolant, etc. She ought to run great then. But NOW, when I start it, it just turns over once and stops. Brand new battery and alternator too. If I recrank it, it will start. Weird, I think it's the engine itself. Time for a rebuild soon.

Actually, I could take a long weekend and borrow my mom's Honda for better gas. We could do a Hollow trip. Let me look at my schedule later in the year.

Back