Shimano Bantam Citica

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Any opinion on this reel? A guy at work has one for sale for $50.

It's only a 5:1 retreive.

1 ball + 1 roller bearing vs. 5 + 1.

No where near the reel that the Curado is.

Stick with the Curado!

I don't want to pay $120 !! :) You can't tell me the Curado is the only "perfect" baitcaster out there. Yes, it's the only one I can use easily but I haven't really tried any others. Why is the Curado so much better when other reels seem to have the same build and features?

Both a Cadillac and a Yugo have doors, steering wheel, motor, four tires, windshield, windshield wipers, meet the US Government safety regulations..... Why pay more for the Cadillac?????

The citca is a nice reel... the curado is much better...

You can replace the bushings with bearings, as that is the primary difference between the two... the citca normally retails for around $90.

So, I say get it, spend another $30 for new bearings (go for the abec-7s while your at it, and you've saved yourself a little change.

The Curado seems to be the perfect reel for the $$ invested... well designed and never fails... most of the more expensive reels have more bearings, and are shaving weight with the materials...but you wont find a better real for the money than the curado.

The Curado is the workhorse, and the right price...

I was looking at the Johnny Morris on BPS if I was going to spend that kind of money. I was also looking at the new Bassmaster low profile for $79.99. Seem to have the same build or better than the Curado. I still may buy one of those just to dare to be different from all you Curado freaks. (Yes, I do love my Curado.)

I looked at the JLMs once (before they offered a left hand model) and was very impressed...I know that Mac swears by them...I thougth they were as much/more than the curado?

The new "BassMaster" brand appears to be a good reel as well, only time will tell. Wonder who makes that reel for them? It looks like a Pfueger...

Teri, get what makes you happy, and confident.

Teri, I'll say again; if all you want to spend for a reel is 50 bucks (and that's OK), take a hard look at the BPS Extreme. 5+1 bearings, whiffle spool that spins like an electric motor. It may not last through years of heavy tournement use but it is the best deal out there for the money.

Harpo

I just picked up a abu torno, awsome reel I would even say better that the curado. I spooled both of them up with 12 XL both on a 7 foot pole, the abu out cast the curado everytime. I should also mention that I was using the same size plug.

Thank

X

PS. save 40 bucks and get the torno.. Just spin the reel and you will see what I am talking about..

I just had a thought...

It's too bad the stores don't spool up a few of these reels for real comparisons on the rods with wieght...

A couple of quick casts will tell you all you need to know about a reel... much more than spinning an empty spool or turning an empty handle.

ITS A FLUGER! Or is that a picture of Kevin Van Dam and a bottle of smelly jelly...

All kidding aside I prefer Dawia's TDX and Million CVZ for baitcasters, and Quantum's PTI series for spinning reels.

Check this reel out for 69.95 from BPS. Seems like a pretty good reel for that money and if its anything like the old procasters its a heck of a deal..

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=51500&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

What is the benefit of metal vs aluminum? I would think aluminum is lighter but less durable??

Is there a benefit to have the 6 pin system or the magnetic brake? I tend to think the 6 pin system works better for me at slowing the reel down during a cast so I don't birdnest. True or not???

Terry-

others smarter than I claim that if you backlash at the beginning/middle of the cast, you adjust the pins...if you backlash at the end of the cast, you adjust the magnet/brake.

am I right folks???

az

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear. Some reels have a place where you take the side cover off and you adjust the pins (like the Curado). Other reels have a dial on the side with numbers and you just adjust the dial (which I thought means the reel has a magnetic system). My question was why one versus the other.

Andy, you are right on the money...

Teri, the difference is in how you adjust them... They both should work well.

One advantage of the pin version is that (at least with Shimanos) you can trade out the brakes for different "weights" and supertune a reel for yourself.

Don't know if you can do that with the "magnetic" version...

The performance gains when you get to that level of "fine tuning" a reel are negligable to me. I like a reel that I can pick up and throw all day without getting tired and can put a fair amount of distance on it....now all of this rocket fuel grease, replacing the bearings, being able to adjust down to a gnat's as.......eyebrow, does nothing but add cost that I don't really need. Buy godd equipment and you will be happy, cut corners too much and you will spend most of the day picking nests out of it. Find the price range comfortable for you but buy the best you can afford.

TOXIC

Teri, I love my JLM'S for the money your getting twice the reel ! I love my curado's but still prefer JLM'S.

Back