Rev limiter question / Bob?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Mercury 115 Elpto on the back of fishnski. 3 years ago the rev limiter on it went out per the mechanic at the local Tracker dealer. He told me it was a high dollar fix and the best option was to remove it and just monitor my RPM's. So far I have taken his advice and have had absolutely no problems with my motor what so ever. My question: Am I just flirting with disaster here? lately I have seen folks posting about this and that (on various boards not just here) talking about the rev limiter kicking in on their motors for whatever reason and I am wondering if I am stupid not to replace it. I always monitor my RPM's so as not to go over max, but still...

Need a serial for correct part ID, but.....I would recommend to replace it. Your ability to monitor the top rpm can only be accomplished within your means.......what if.......you lost a prop hub, or broke a prop shaft / drive shaft? RPM'S would spike uncontrollably that COULD be catastropohic. Since your engine is the 115 4-cylinder 2-stroke, it cannot be propped to turn in excess of 5250 due to a "harmonic imbalance".

Like I always told my racing buddies..."it's not your driving that will get you into trouble, but a mechanical failure, that usually comes unannounced"

BTW....I don't know where / how your "mechanic" says it's a high dollar fix, but the part is a whopping $59.00, and it takes about 10 minutes to put it......if it's the year and part I think it is......;)

Ok Bob I found that serial number. It's 06604258. There was also another sticker under the cowl that was labled emissions info that had information on dwell, oil type and what not. One number was labled "Family" (WM9XM0113210) and there was another labled "Parts" (37-855211 11) if that is any further help. Speaking of help, thanks for all yours. You have certainly been a wealth of info for me and everyone else here on NTO. It's really nice of you to share your knowledge with us all.

No problem Chris!

The serial number is actually "0G604258".

Rev limiter part number 821889A51, Sugg List $58.48. Time to install....I'll be gracious and give them 15 minutes.

Members receive a 10% discount.;)

Your being very gracious Bob. The OP may want to try another dealer/tech, or plug and play solo. The first tech reply made me :lol: Good luck Chris! ;)

Even with the reading glasses I guess my nearly 50 year old eyes betrayed me when writing down the serial number. I am a little confused as to how and where to order to receive a member discount. I must have missed something.

You can e-mail Mark Lewis "[email protected]", identify yourself from "NTOWS", and he will automatically give you a 10% discount if you are interested in ordering the part!;)

Part is in stock!!

Latest posts

Back