RE-SPOOLING

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Scott2

Reaction score
Do you guys re-spool after every fishing trip?

Do you strip off all the line, or tie on new line to fill the spool? I usually cut off about 10' of line and just retie the lure. Is this a mistake? I know the pros re-spool after every trip, but wasn't sure if all you guys do.

I fill my spool with a cheap filler line. Then maybe only fill the last 50-75yds with the the line i want. That way i don't feel bad replacing mine line before each tournament. With my worm rods i replace every tournament. Spinner bait and crankbait rods i cut and re-tie and replace every other month or so, or when needed.

Not after every one.

I re-spool probably every 2-3 trips, or when too much memory

I re-tie all baits/lures after each tourney, at a minimum.

I try to remember to re-tie after every caught fish, if the lure is taken 'deep' or a bigger fish has really given a good tussle.

Tex

i dont. That would be an expensive deal. I do mine a few times a season if its mono( more often if the line gets really twisted or brittle or stiff). I do braid once a year or so. I dont think i could afford to spool all my rods every trip out. That would mean between 1 and 4 times a week depending on the week.

I cut off any line that has knicks in it and retie. I dont think i even cut off maybe 5' or so.

BMCD, I like the cheap filler line , but do you have any casting, reeling problems because of the two lines tied together?

Thanks for the info guys.

No problems. I make sure i have enough to cover more than i could possibly cast out.

I'm like Jim B. I respool a few times a year..except the day before a big tournament such as a BFL....its just a confidence thing for me. Club and team tournys are fine but before the BFLs I respool the day before. I only take about 100 yards of line off or so. I only do that on rods I know i'm going to use. If I didnt pick up a crankbait in practice, I wont respool my cranking rod...etc.

Typically, when possible I buy the large 1000 yard spools of line. Those last me all year long.

BJ

Back