Questions about a motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a chance to get a killer deal around hear on a polar kraft with a 25 hp Merc BigFoot(four stroke). Anyways as many of you may know up in the NorthEast were in a pretty much frozen. Anyway the boat is stored outside and we have no way to heat up the motor. I went last night and the motor kicks over and fires right up but the pisser tube is frozen so we had to shut her right down, it fires right up, and shifts in to forward and reverse easily, other than that I can't say anymore. Any ideas, should I bite the bullet and by it, it does fire up is that enought to know that all the major components work. Thank you, if you could I would love for quick answers as this might disappear.

Thanks Sean B. (P.S. sure glad this site is up and running again)

A little more detail might help us help you evaluate the "deal", like the year of the boat and motor and the model of the boat. Personally, I have always had good luck with PolarKraft boats. They are very popular in my home town area on the Mississippi River. Fishing and duck hunting in one of their Jon Boats is almost as good as a river rig can get. There are better, but not by much.

If the pee hole is frozen I certainly hope that there wasn't any other water within the lower unit frozen. Will the owner of the boat allow you to take the boat and store it somewhere warm until it "isn't" frozen so you can check it?

As Greg said. More info would help. Also check NADA or KBB on price, particularly for the 4-stroke.

I second Bills thoughts. If the hole is frozen I hope nothing else was! A lower unit is replaceable but expensive. At the least do as suggested, warm it up, run it and see then. I know around here if you buy a boat in the winter most will let you hold back some of the money until you can run it in the spring, in case anything is wrong.

Good luck,

Randy!

Why not ask if you can put a "deposit" down and have it checked out. Take it to a dealer and have them store it inside overnight and then run it in the morning. This does not sound like an unreasonable request when buying.

Latest posts

Back