Trolling motor install question

• Thread starter Teri C. [URL]http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001110
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
TritonGlenn, I finally opened the box this week. Everything looked good. You did a great job of packing.

So I installed the plug and receptical last night and removed the old trolling motor. What a stupid, stupid design from Ranger or whoever did it. There is no access to the front deck. There is a small square outline on the carpet in the front next to the light. I tried to take the light out but there was not enough room to get my hand down in there. So, this square hole I decided was for access to the underneathe but how in the heck does the square come out. Well after 3 of us staring at it, I pryed it up with the end of hammer with all my mite. The square was a cut out but screwed in by two corner screws with no head on them. WTF!!!! I am still baffled at how they put those screws in. One is still attached and I busted the other one but there was no other way. I can guarantee when I reinstall the square my engineering will be much better.

Anyway, I have a question. I only have 2 wires, black and red. The Minn Kota receptical said to put them in 1 & 2 for a 12/24V set up. Just checking that I have this right. I will have 2 batteries with a cross connector between the two. I don't need the 3rd wire if I do it this way, correct?

Also, I remember when I upgraded my Nitro from 12 to 24v, I upgraded the fuse from 30amp to 50amp. I noticed a small fuse box back by the cranking battery marked 30amp. I am assuming this is the fuse I need to upgrade. In the Nitro is was in a small red tube and I just popped one out and put the other one in. This one looks like the entire box, circuit,or whatever it is needs replaced. Does this make any sense? I suppose I can post a picture of it and it would make more sense but that will take me a few days. Is there anything else I am missing?

I attached a link to what I think I need to replace the circuit breaker. Thoughts?

Thanks as always!
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001110015767a.shtml

Go with the Minn Kota 60 amp. And don't forget the jacknuts !!!

It just dawned on me that I never even checked what gauge wire is in the boat. I want to say 6, maybe 8 but not sure. I assume 6 is ok?

6 is what you want. You are spot-on with everything else.

By the way, I am an ASC for Minn Kota, so feel free to call me anytime with any questions.

I'm not an ASC like Ken, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently... :lol::lol::lol:

You only need two wires up front if you put the jumper in at the batteries. One of the wires run to the front should be on the positive of one battery, and the other wire running to the front should be on the negative of the other battery. There should be a jumper of the same gauge wire (6 gauge recommended) between the other two terminals of your batteries (positive of one battery to negative of the other.)

I also agree with everything Ken said - wire size (6) and recommendation for a 60 amp MK breaker. That is the best set-up.

Glad to hear that everything was fine with the motor and that my packing job was sufficient to keep it protected.

I hope you enjoy it!

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back