OK Gear Heads...........HELP!!

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Alright, it is decision time, The dealer I am negotiating on has offered me a deal on my dream truck but there is one thing that it has that I do not want.........a 4.10 rear end. I wanted the 3.73 for better gas mileage. Should I be concerned, should I let this kill the deal, he can/will get me the same truck with 3.73's but it will cost more because it will have to come from another lot. Am I gonna get chewed up in the mileage department? How about resale? 3.73 gives you a GVW rating of 8600 lbs. the 4.10 gives you a 9200 lb. GVW. I don't want this to be an emotional decision. Give me your comments............

TOXIC

If it makes a difference, I can get the truck in question for about 35k....that is a very good price.

I have the 4.10 in a Chevy 2500HD with the 400 in it....great towing package, love the truck.

About 16-18mpg no trailer on the hwy.

The 3.73 might get ya 1 or 2 mpg's more....go with the 4.10

Alot would depend on how you will be using it.

Highway towing-3.73s

Hilly towing-4.10s

alot of miles without the boat-3.73s

Unless you are doing alot of heavy towing,I would go with the 3.73.

If the price difference is alot,you could have the gears of your choice installed.

It's a diesel right? I would check the mileage ratings on both trucks 3:73 vs 4:10 and see how much fuel you can buy for the diff in price.

BF

For towing a bass boat the 3.73 is more then enough. With the 4.10's you are throwing gas or fuel out the window. If you shut to od off and go 65 on the freeway with the 3.73 gears you should be turning about 2600rpm with the 4.10's you would be about 2950. I calculated this with the 245/75/16 tires they come with. These numbers will be real close to what you will run real world in the 1:1 gear(od off or third) If I remember correctly you were getting a duramax and diesels want to rev lower then a gas motor does. If you were towing something like a bobcat or heavy equipt i would not even think about anything but 4.10's but for towing a bass boat 3.73 is more then fine.

I went thru the same choice with my Dakota and i got the 3.55 gears because of the rpm difference on the freeway. A guy in my club has the same basic truck with the 3.92 gears and a similar weight boat and he gets 3 mpg less on the freeway then what i get and i have no problem keeping up with him even on hills.

You definately do not need the 4.10.

I wouldn't have it. (Sorry, Ken.)

There is a high probability that, if you push the dealer, he can give you the truck from the other lot at the same price. He probably just wants to sell his inventory and maybe even get rid of a vehicle he's having problems selling - maybe because of the ratio.....

This one is not the diesel. It is the 6 Liter gasser. There was too much cost up front on the diesel (same truck would have been $42,000)plus the added maintenance of 10+ quarts of oil, fuel additives (every tank), extra fuel filter to save the injectors (which are still a problem in the chevys)and a different air intake. Pay back on the costs isn't until around 100k and I might move this truck more often because the dealer sponsorship will let me buy at cost whenever I want. I could turn the truck every year if I wanted. I spent the better part of last night cruising the towing sites and Ken is right, there usually is about a 1 to 3 mpg loss with the 4.10's (that's not much in my book). And there is a noticable difference trying to tow in any type of hills with the 3.73's. The dealers position is that most people buy the 3/4 ton for some kind of heavier towing (otherwise they get the 1/2 ton) and they want the 4.10 rear end. He does not have a single 3/4 ton in stock that doesn't have the 4.10 rear. For my application the 3.73 would work but I'm thinking that resale might justify the 4.10's and the added fuel costs. Remember, this truck will not be my daily driver....Anybody have a feel if the price is a good one? It's crunch time!! What would you do??????????

TOXIC

Toxic, we only allow Teri the current status of not knowing what to due about a vehicle, we don't need two. LOL

Buzz

Don't know about the gear question but if I ever spend $35,000 for a truck it better have at least two bedrooms, and one and one-half baths in it:) Yea I know, I'm old..

That's just a little less than I paid for the house I'm living in.

Bill

Bill....Retail on the Duramax was near $50,000...With options, you can actually get over that number!! Scarey huh!!

TOXIC

Toxic,

One of the other questions to consider is the resale value of the difference. If the 4.10 is wanted by more of the 'local establishment' for work/towing/etc., then it seems as though it may be a selling feature.

The difference between 15 and 18 mpg, calculated out with a price of $1.76 per gallon (purely subjective) over the following miles is about :

20,000 miles $391

25,000 miles $488

30,000 miles $586

35,000 miles $684

40,000 miles $782

And obviously, if the price eventually comes back down, that will drop. Inversely . . . .

If it has everything else you want, doesn't seem to be that much difference. Note your own message - 'it's my dream truck'. Also, there will be times when you simply love having that extra power in the back end.

Tex

Tox, i wouldnt get the 4.10 gears regardless. If he wont deal shop elswhere. I gave you what it will rev on the freeway with od off so you have that info. I personally wouldnt want to be running close to 3k on the freeway for an extended period.

I also have a buddy who owns that exact same truck and his gas milage is awful with the 4.10 gears. He plows snow and tows a heavy trailer so he needs them, its a business write off for him too. Unloaded on the freeway he says he's lucky to get 13 and towing its well under 10. city he gets like 10 ish. I dont know how Ken is getting what he is getting it seems way high. Ken is your truck a 2wd? What he is gettign is like 1500 type numbers, actually about what my truck gets. Everyone i know that has a heavy duty truck gets bad gas milage regardless of brand. Like my buddy says if fuel milage is a concern its not the truck for you.

I hear ya Jim, I'm just looking down the road for the resale. Since I won't be driving it everyday, I don't feel the mileage is as big of an issue as the resale. As far as dealing elsewhere, there is no one who will give me as good of deal as this. MSRP on this truck is $42,000+. I know, I know, nobody pays MSRP, but I have not yet found a deal as good as this at any of the other dealerships I have talked to. I will know today, if there is a dealer who will match or improve the deal I'm getting right now. Remember, I am towing with an Explorer 5.0 that is getting in the 10 mpg range right now and it runs 3,000 rpm with the OD off at highway speeds.

TOXIC

Is it 4wd? If so, how often will you be using it? (4x4) You will want to consider that when comparing the two differentials. I've got the 4.10's in my HD CC and have launched and loaded on unimproved ramps (read: dirt road into lake) with 929's and had no problems. It will definitely help you on the ramps and steep hills under tow. It also handles the off-road fire trails on my hunt property without a sweat. I get 13-14mpg towing and 16-17mpg without. I'm getting another one here shortly and am getting the same thing, just an '05 with 4 wheel steer.

P.S. I tow 929's in OD and run 75mph @2100-2200rpms without the tranny hunting for gears and the tranny temp holding around 190-200 degrees. (If your total tow pkg. weight is under 10K, that is what GM recomends on this rig.) Good luck with whatever you decide!

Toxic,

I have a 10 month old HD2500, 4 WD, extended cab w/6.0 liter 4.10 rear end. I have put a $250 free-flow exhaust system on it, a complete $200 KN intake system, replaced the factory PCU computer w/a re-programed one from Canada $650. I have oversized mud grip tires on it. 255/85/16's.

I have never got below 10 mpg nor above 14 mpg. But it is BAD***. it will run, like a scalded dog, spotted ape, or whatever. and pull a house, a big house. I probably could get a little better but i drive it at or above the speed limit all the time, even pulling, im addicted to the power.

I had, what the called a light duty 3/4 ton, 2000 model w/3.73 gears before this one, got maybe 2 mpg better but was not 4WD. KENNY

JimB,

My truck is a Chevy 2500HD long-bed, regular cab,2002...4x4

I get 16-18 hwy mpg's without a trailer.

I towed Mac's 901 last year for 1600 miles in one trip and got 10-12.

I don't tow with OD off, my truck has the tow-haul switch.

OK tox,

What is the decision? As I am going to be riding in it when we go up North (I hope).......

Carlos

I emailed the dealer and it looks like I am going to get the truck. If I find I can't live with the MPG or there is something else that I don't like, I can sell it in a couple of years and hopefully get a good price (even though it's not a Ranger!!LOL). More later I am talking with the accountant tonight, both of them....the one who is a cpa and the one I have to live with!!

TOXIC

The latter one is the MOST important one too!!!! Hope it works out Tox.

Make sure you post pics.

We on for Saturday? My River or your lake :)

Carlos

Man CIII, you're gonna wear your arm out man!! I would really like to hit the river if the weather holds. I might have to deal with the truck, I'll let you know.

Ohhhhh what a sweet ride it is also......

TOXIC

ok Tox,

I am out tomorrow until the evening. Call home or the cell and let me know, ok??

You have the numbers, still???

Carlos

Back