Nitro 640 LX -Need help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Welch

Reaction score
My 640 LX has been plagued with problems since I bought it new last year. I have gotten the motor problems straigtened out thanks to Michael Blake (Blakes Marine, Randleman, NC). Now when I take my boat out the motor runs smooth,but, Now It pulls hard to the right,and the left side drops down in the water(very scarey). Has anyone else had this problem. I have tried contacting Triad Marine where I bought this boat new, But never can get anyone to call me back. I am a first time boat owner ,and Im becoming very frusterated. HELP!!!

Two things there, Victor.....

The most likely is that you haven't figured out the process of trimming out the boat yet. Either the motor is trimmed down too low or too high - probably too low. Play with the trim positioning a bit until you find a sweet spot. But also be sure to watch the water pressure guage - you don't want to trim up so far that you run the motor dry.

The other possibility is the trim tab on the motor. It is a small wedge-shaped item that sticks down from the cavitation plate just above the prop. Lossen it with the bolt on the top and turn the rear to the right. This will lessen the pull of your motor.

Maybe someone from this board in NC can take a ride with you some afternoon and help you figure it out......

Welcome aboard!

me!

Does the problem happen at all speeds or just when you are taking off? Were you having the problem before the motor was worked on? Might have raised it up a hole or two giving you more speed. The pulling hard to the right can be corrected with the trim tab as ME suggested. Might fix the listing issue also. Keep us posted.

Evcomp

victor,

i am in archdale, nc, not far from you. i am by no means an expert, but will offer my assitance any way i can. best way to get in touch with me is via email during the week.

you are doing the same thing i did when i got my boat. post the question and let the more experienced guys give you advice. over the last 6 months or so, i have gotten LOTS of excellent advice on a multitude of issues.

where are you doing most of your fishing in the are?

bryan

Thanks guys, I was going to go out this afternoon but the thunder boomers have moved in, will have to wait till tomorrow.

Bryan, I mostly fish Baden,High Rock,Oak Hollow,and on occasions Tillery,and Tucker Town. Thanks for your offer I will probably take you up on it!!!!

Keep the advise coming in guys, I think im gonna need it.

Thanks,

Vic

I have the 2000 year model and same size merc you have. I haven't had any controll problems but you may need to just play with the trim and experiment with it a little. Good luck, Chris.

had same type probs with my 700lx..i had some probs..i turned the trim tab as described in the manual and that helped a lot and played with the trim...just yesterday got a cupped 19 pitch prop and ditched my 23p aluminum..now my sweet spot is very small..lol..more work..yeah

Thank You to everyone that replied to this post. I played around with the trim tab, and trim adjustment today and I found the sweet spot. Any reason the dealer would have the trim tab adjusted all the way to the right? First time I have smiled in a long time. First time everything went right with the boat for me.thanks again ME,Bryan,and everyone else who offered advise. Bryan,send me a email we'll do the fising thing one day. I work in the Archdale area, I drive around in one of those white cars with the gold and blue stripes.lol.

Probably because having it adjusted all the way to the right would have been closer to correct than to have it straight..... HOWEVER..... I don't understand why he (and many other dealers) wouldn't have told you about the trim tab when he sold you the boat.....

Latest posts

Back