My Nitro just came in!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Just got a voicemail from my dealer - my Nitro 750 will be in shortly. I am traveling right now but will go to the dealer in March when I am back in town and will take photos and post them shortly thereafter.

I've taken the Boat Safety Course (100 - perfect score!), ordered all new fishing tackle from Bass Pro and am counting down the months until I get the boat out on my own.

Now I just need to get up to speed on trailering, launching and driving a boat! :)

Thanks to everyone who gave me input on what I should add to the configuration way back in November/December.

Any useful tips/hints/guidance on trailering, launching and steering/driving the boat would also be gladly accepted!

... and to think ... I finally have gotten the hang of fishing from a kayak and now I am on to boating ... what's next?

Mad Kayaker

Congratulations on your new Nitro! You will love it.

Congrats on the new Nitro, you'll love it, I just got a 750, what engine did u get?

Git-R-Done .....fishing from a boat will be like riding in a cadillac compared to a kayak.

T.S.

Way to go! practice practice practice, time will get it done. Just remember a boat don't have brakes, a boat don't steer good backing up, trailer goes opposite way the truck goes when backing.

Most important keep it pretty, sparkely, and shiney, it doesn't help the fishing but you sure look good trying. Congrats KENNY

You should start right now to find someone to mow your yard this summer and any other home repairs should be done ASAP because you will not do them this summer.

Harpo

Congrats! and ditto what Harpo said, get those summer projects outta the way pronto! You'll be glad you did! Enjoy the new boat, egMike

congrats!!!! Im so very jelous. I have to wait a couple more weeks to even place my order. Im getting the same boat.......how long did it take from the time you ordered it until now? Have fun with it, couple hours of toying around with it and you will feel very comfortable doing all the things that you listed above.

Brian - I upgraded and got the 115hp.

Jon - I placed my order at the beginning of December. The message was left for me last week. It was built to order.

You know, the only thing I know I will be doing less is riding my motorcycle. To make up for that, I rode it to work all the way through the end of December and am about to start riding again as soon as the temp stays consistently above 35 degrees! If you drive Rt 93 or Rt 128 around Burlington, MA heading toward Boston, you probably would have seen me on the motorcycle like a nut this past winter.

Yep, that is the one thing I will miss when I get the boat. On the plus side - Maine and NH smallmouth are calling my name come spring time! Thankfully, my home is in very good condition so as some of you pointed out, gotta be out mowing the lawn on my "sick days" or "doctor appointments" so I leave time to fish on weekends. :)

Mad Kayaker

Sooner--What do you mean summer projects...I just let my dad do them while I am out fishing!!

Congrats on the new boat, Mad!

You'll love her!

Now..... There's all sorts of advice on what to do when you're first learning how to handle your new boat..... But the best advice is what NOT to do.....

Go to the search function at the top of the board and look in the archives for "Really dumb things..... by Marke, 4/17/2001"

And DON'T do any of that stooopid stuff! LOL!!

me!

Muskyman - there's nothing like hooking into a huge bass on 4lb or 6 lb line and getting towed across the lake by it in a kayak. If you haven't ever experienced that, you ought to try it. Pretty exhilerating. I think I will always be the Mad Kayaker ... unless of course, I consistently catch huge bass in the boat ... :)

Me! - Thanks for the tip on the archive. There were some key things I didn't think about before - especially making sure the hitch is secure on the ball. I'll remember that.

I am really nervous about towing the boat, going around corners and backing into my driveway - I have a really long narrow driveway leading up to my house and there's not alot of room to be able to back straight in from the road.

Also, how long does it take to get comfortable loading and unloading the boat from the trailer when you are at the boat ramp?

Mad Kayaker

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to practice in an open parking lot, backing up and turning while backing use some pylons or plastic garbage cans). It would also help to take someone with you who has experience on loading and unloading a boat. With a brand spankin new sparkly boat you shouldn't have any problem with people wanting to go. When you do get to the point where you are ready to get on the water break your motor in by the book....no exceptions, and finally be careful on those northern lakes of yours, you are not in a yak anymore and you have to be totally aware of bottom and rocks, get some good maps even if you know the water (they will tell you a lot more) and if you are going to run rivers watch out for floating debris. Otherwise just have fun and spend some time in the "seat". You're gonna be here a lot in the future!!LOL

TOXIC

Very good info Tox..that's how I forced my wife learn to manuever the rig good. Didn't take long...as a matter fact someone had left two cones out there to help us:) Practice makes damn near perfect. She can make a few of the so called pros look bad wheeling around.....

TEE

Some advice from someone who fishes solo allot.

1- practice backing up in a parking lot, or during the week when ramps are slow.

2- have everthing ready in boat when getting ready to launch, keys, rods, food, drink, ect.

3- have doc ropes on deck to tie down after launching boat

4- get about a 5 foot section of rope tie loop on one end and a SS clip to connect to eye on bow of boat. connect to eye of boat and loop end to trailer above crank.

Remove transom saver, tie downs, check to ensure drain plug is in, and tilt motor up all the way.

5- this will allow you to back boat into water and still stay connected to trailer.

6- back trailer down slowly until bow comes off trailer.

7- climb on boat and warm up engine.

8- note: pump up ball on gas line, it may take a minute or so for motor to turn over since its new and running double oil.

9- Start Motor with it verical position, tends to start easier.

10- remove rope from eye on bow, back off trailer and tie up to dock. park trailer and go fishing.. remember to follow breakin schedule.

11- Take it slow, when attempting to plane off, have motor trimmed down all the way. Once boat begins to plane off trim up slighlty, the steering will become easier. If you begin to porpis ( front of boat going up and down ) trimmed back down a little and ease off throttle, or give it a little throttle and trim up a little.

12- Loading boat on trailer,, same as unload, except when backing down trailer put in water to bottom of fenders on wheel well, I have found with this boat/trailer setup works best. Attatch strap to boat eye. Also remember to trim motor up all the way before driving up the ramp.

Place tie downs on boat and use transom saver. remove drain plug.

hope this helps..

A suggestion, Your new boat will NOT fit in the shallow water you have taken your Kayak to sneak up on fish! Watch the water depth carefully... Don't desire to hear a new NITRO owner describe his journey "on -the-rocks"!!!

Safe fishing, Michael.

Brian - thanks for the tips. I appreciate your thouroughness as well as everyone else's tips. I printed them out so I will remember them when I get the boat!

Mad Kayaker

Also, make sure ahead of time you are wired for your trailer, if it has brakes, you'll need a 5 pin. Before pulling check out the trailer...lugs, bearings (for grease), tounge and lights to make sure everything works right.

Finally, DON"T FORGET THE PLUG!!LOL

TOXIC

Good choice on boats! In northern Virginia almost everybody

buys Rangers, Tritons, Skeeters! I bought a Nitro! I'm very

happy with my boat! Paid $5,000 to $20,000 less! Plus got a

nice looking, good running 2003 929 CDX DC! Then my fishing

partner got a deal on a 2002 929 CDX DC patriot edtion for

23,500 fully loaded! Runs with the best of them and believe

it or not is faster then most boats on the water. Nitro is

a good boat! Good Luck with Yours!!!!!!!

Richie, Meet us at Anna!!!!! Or I can meet you somewhere in Stafford on my way to Anna. Unless I leave too early for you that is.

Carlos

Back