Motor guide or Minn Kota ??

• Thread starter Gilbert Scales2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Which trolling motor is the best??? I have a 24 volt Motor guide now, but want the latest model that folks have and like. My boat is only 16 ft.(160 TF Nitro) but fish alot on windy days. All replies appreciated.

Buby:)

I have a 70 lb Motorguide Pro series and can't stand it. It is pretty loud, doesn't lock into the mount well when deployed, and the directional arrow is constantly wrong. Also, the steering cable is really inflexible, so it gets in the way quite a bit, and the motor slips down the mount at least once an hour. My dad had a motorguide on his boat for years, and loved it, but I get the feeling that their quality isn't what it used to be.

Maybe the tour series is better, but I wouldn't recommend the pro series to anyone.

I have been looking at one of the Minn Kota Terrova motors as a replacement. They have a built in transducer, which seems pretty cool, and they use a thin wire for steering, rather than the big cables. All I need is 1500 bucks...

I've had a Motorguide and a Minn Kota--apples to oranges in that they were different models with different capabilities. However, from an overall quality standpoint, I see no difference.

It depends on the model.

I have a MinnKota that I purchased 20+ years ago that still works. Transom mount.

I have had mostly MotorGuides since that one (bow mounts).

Once I went to a "top dog" motor (24 or 36v bow mount) EVERY MotorGuide I have owned has failed. 100% failure rate. I now have a 24v MinnKota on my boat and not one failure (yet).

Bubby, I swear by MinnKota! I actually drew two different guys in tournaments that work on trolling motors and when both saw that I have a MinnKota they were extremely happy in terms of feeling that we won't have any problems for the day. They do love Motorguides because they get a lot of work and money from them.

I have also had over six burn up, switches and other things go wrong.

Just my experience.

Randy!

I just replaced my factory Motorguide with a new Motorguide tour edition. I like it a lot. No problems on the old one till I burned it up because I left it on and plugged in under my cover while towing. The wind pressure on the cover was enough to push the momentary switch and start the motor which couldn't turn because of the cover. I went from 67# to 82#. I have an 896.

Gene

Well, I'm reminded that I had no failures at all on my Motorguide, but I did have a curcuit board failure on my Minn Kota. 1 Minn Kota, 1 failure, 100% failure rate. 1 Motorguide, 0 failure, 0% failure rate.

Six motors burn up on your boat and you think its a manufacturer problem? ;)

I have a 101 lbs thrust MinnKota hand control front mount and LOVE it. Never had a problem other than I just started to replace the three (36V) batteries after 5+ years. Other than that (routine maintenance) I would stick with MinnKota. Had Motorguide foot controls before and wouldn't go back. Just my $0.02 worth!

Trolling motors are like Fords and Chevy's.I personally like MG's.I have had no problems with my Tour Edition 82lb.It also has the build in transducer.No wires hanging on the side of the motor.The TE has a very positive push-pull system on the steering.I do alot of shows for MG and I always tell people to buy the biggest one you can afford because you are not going to overpower a boat with a trolling motor.

My $.02

Minnkota is the way to go in my opinion. After having owned both brands over the years i wont ever own another Motorguide again. My observations, a Minnkota is quieter, better in weeds, tougher, more reliable, better on batteries, steer smoother..... The only con with the Minnkota that i see is they are heavy. I have the Max pro 80 currently and i really like it alot. The lift assist is sweet.

My last motorguide i actually ran was on my old Champion(the one that came on my Nitro never hit the water). That thing was broken constantly. Busted cables, shreded pinion gears, bad aramatures, fried switches etc. That Motorguide only made it a year on that boat before i replaced it and in that time i was in the repair shop a half a dozen times. The Minnkota that replaced it still works to this day as my backup, it survived 8 years of abuse without any problems. I dont think Motorguide has gotten any better either, i still see guys in my club that have new ones having the same problems i had.

Overall i think i am very hard on the trolling motor, I use it alot and i use it hard. Motorguide has not fared well for me, Minnkota has taken every bit of punnishment i can throw at it.

Ok I hope I don't offend anyone but Minnkota SUCKS! I had a MG tour 80 something and I seen the minnkota 101 with built in transducer (before MG had it) so I spent the big bucks and it has been in the shop three times already once for a new armature. The warranty covered it but when you fish for a living (or try to) you can't afford to have it in the shop! So I would tell you to stay away from the minnkota. Just my $.02 worth as well. It probably would not have been as strong a warning if I didn't have it in the shop last month again!

The Dragon

I almost forgot I had the company on the phone during one tournament and they had to walk me through a repair and I didn't count that one!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The arguements could last all day, week, year... :lol: There will be those that had "nothing but problems" with Motorguide, and those that have had "nothing but problems" but Minn Kota.

Personally, I love Minn Kota Maxxums, and currently run a MK Maxxum Pro 80 US. Every boat I've ever purchased had Motorguides on them, and were all replaced in short order with a Minn Kota. I've "tried" to give every single Motorguide that came on a boat a chance.... but just didn't like them. It's not that I blew any of them up. I just find the Minn Kotas are quieter and more durable. Plus, I like the 360 bow mount on the MK. My last Motorguide was a Tour Edition - believe it was a 82lb model. Best of all the Motorguides I've used... but I still ended up replacing it with a Minn Kota. The "almost new" Motorguide made someone else a very happy camper, as I sold it to a MG fan.

BUT buy what makes YOU happy. Go play with the displays at the store. Ride in peoples boats that have them and ask to use them (yes... you can fish out of someone elses boat, even if you are a boater yourself. :p )

All the best,

Glenn

Yes Marty, it was all six times, manufacturer problems with the motors. Call it an extremely bad run of luck, but each time Motorguide relaced and/or fixed without question. Each time the tracker dealer said it was common problems but just more than normal for one person to have. I am meticulous about my equipment, cleanliness, maintenance etc... I also have had nothing but MonnKota's since with no problems! Like I said this is just my experience with the two brands.

Randy!

You know.. competition is good between the two brands, but I think if we had another company or two to choose from, competition would be even better.

The QUIETEST trolling motor I've ever owned was a OMC brand (old style with the dog leg shaft) - 54lbs? But the mount and steering cables broke constantly. I put up with the repairs simply because it was SO quiet.

For a while there, we had OMC, MK, MG, and Pinpoint. Then OMC stopped making their own and changed style (I think MK was making them then, because they looked identical to the Maxxum), and I haven't seen a Pinpoint motor in years, so I don't even know if they still even exist. But it would be nice to have more choices. I'd probably still pick MK though. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

MinnKota!!!!! I have a 70 lbs Maxxum on my Avalanche and I'm so happy I went to it. No problems with it. I had more problems with the Motorguide and I missed tons of downtime in two tournaments with it. I haven't missed a single second with the MinnKota.

I have the standard MG 46# on the bow of the PT175, and never had a mechanical problem with it. When I bought my '08 Lowe 1652VT Roughneck this past June I ord'd a MG 55# foot control for the bow. I've since put a MK Endura40 (tiller-type) on the stern. I went with the MK because BPS Nashville was out of the MG that I wanted, and I didn't want to wait for them to order one. No problems from either the MG or MK so far. :)

From my response on another thread......

Careful now I think it's more the thrust than the manufacturer. If you could only see the shape my 67lb thrust MG is in on the front of my 929 (barge) and how many hours have got to be on that little motor. Still works and pulls my boat around fine. The one and only time I had a problem was trying to work a heavy-heavy current in the Wolf River with Greg and TJ in my boat. I know it wasn't me or TJ, musta been Greg

Think of it like this...What if we only had 2 choices in Trucks or Boats??? I have absolutly ravaged the MG on the front of my boat...never bent the shaft, never replaced any switches. Actually busted my prop all the way off getting set down on the bottom on some huge swells on Lake Champlain. Grounded it more times than I can count retrieving lures. Both with have gems and both will have lemons. As a guide, I am on that motor all day. Clients don't like to take boat rides, they like to fish. I would estimate I have double the hours on the TM than my big motor!!

TOXIC

I have a MG 43lb. on my 2004 PT 175 and have had no problems with it. My only complant is I need something with more power. So when it goes, I think I will go with a MG but the biggest 12v they make, think it is a 55 lb. It should plug right in the same conection I am guessing. Anyone know for sure? kenny

I have been fishing for a long time and have only had Motor Guides in all that time. Mainly because not any one of those ever failed me. My favorite of all time, and I don't know the thrust, etc., was a Super MotorGuide that was white, and had an orange directional pointer. That motor was great but really only had to pull a 17' boat too.

I guess I can't sell anyone on my first trolling motor, a Zebco Stern Mount. It was a good motor but almost literally ATE batteries:lol: And in those days we used, if we had the money, Sears DieHard Batteries..

Uncle Billy

Tox,

If you dont have at least 5 times the hours on your troller you are a pleasure boater!

Sorry about your cable. It is an easy fix on that brute. Or you can just get a MK and see what the rage is about! lol

Mini

Mini, I decided to just bite the bullet and order a new one. When I pulled the head off to get at the cable, you could see where it had gotten really, really, hot up there (dang Potomac grass!!). 2 wires were actually fused together and all of the connectors had burn marks. My foot switch has no spring left (but worked fine), and the head collar was busted (no big deal). This motor was on borrowed time!! I honestly don't know how much longer I am going to run the NITRO (deal wheels are turning), so laying out 7-800 was not a good idea. I saw where Tracker's ebay store was getting rid of some 70lb thrust 45 in. shaft motors for $269. That is one heck of a deal, best I have ever seen!! I would have liked a bigger setup with a longshaft but my 67 has been fine 95% of the time. And yes, the new one is a Motorguide:lol:

TOXIC

Good for you Tox!

Dont tell me you are looking at the "dark side"....

Latest posts

Back