Minn Kota ULTREX On Our 2022 Z17 Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As noted elsewhere, we ordered our new Nitro Z17 with a Motor Guide X3 from the factory. It was a great 24 volt 70lb motor.
For that fact, we never had to set it higher than a number 3 on the speed-dial. Eagerly awaiting a Anchor option add-on or a
similar TM from Motor Guide with Anchor and in a less expensive format, (None) We committed to purchase the Minn Kota Ultrex
in I-Pilot, 24V, 80lb, 45" from Bass Pro. Shops. Yes, we still had a BPS New-Boat purchase discount Card.

The motor was easy to calibrate between Sensor Puck and with the Remote to the Motor, after many careful reviews of the Instructions.
Of coarse, the Spot-Lock worked great. So did the other functions too. Auto-Pilot, Constant etc. The Nav switch often tapped on by mistake
using my heavy foot for the Spot-Lock. The remote functions worked very well too. Can not complain. Did not drain the Battery's very much either.
Can not say that we miss the I-Pilot Link as we used it only once previously on a HB Unit. Control on the ULTREX was set to 3 to 4 while fishing.
80 Lb thrust and 40 pounds heavier than the M-G Unit, there was NO noticeable difference on Hole-shot. (115 Merc Pro XS/Command Thrust).
Boat did not lean to Port while slow or on plane. Do not worry using this on a Z17 size Boat.
Overall, it's a Keeper!

Attachments

• Scan_20230915.png
    Scan_20230915.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Tested out the Ultrex further on a short two day trip.
Overall, the Ultrex again did fine. One note though. with the MotorGuide 70LB, I set the dial at 3 most of the time.
With the Ultrex, I had to set the dial at 4 to 5 to get the same results.

I contacted Minnkota who advised the Power Wire should be a Gauge 8Awg, not a 10Awg.
Not sure yet which Gauge I have. Will check it out.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Final installment:
Minn Kota states perhaps a Power Prop would assist with my issue. I asked for Part Number,
They then stated they do Not have a Power Prop for the Ultrex motor.
They suggested I take the motor to a local repair shop for inspection.
I advised MK I will first wait for them to design and manufacture a Power Prop for the Ultrex.
Only 8 hours time on the Ultrex and we and Repair is 90 miles away from storage.
I'll set the Dial up one number!

Latest posts

Back