LMS 522C-IGPS

• Thread starter Aroldo Hernandez
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aroldo Hernandez

Reaction score
I want to ad a seond 522c-IGPS on my front deck. I already have one on my console. Will the front and console ping's interfear with each other?.......:unsure:

Ace,

you can link them together and use 1 sounder and gps. buy the 520 with out gps antenna and tranducer. the purchase the lowrance link cables. search lowrance and you can read about it on the re site.

GregD

Ace - Can I ask why you want a GPS on the front deck and not just sonar? Wouldn't it be easier (and less expensive) to turn the 522 around on the console to look at?

I can't speak for Ace but mine is done that way so I can set waypoints from the front and use it to find a certain spot on deep structure with out having to run back to the console to see if I am close.

BF

I can't speak for Ace but mine is done that way so I can set waypoints from the front and use it to find a certain spot on deep structure with out having to run back to the console to see if I am close.

BF

Thanks Bruce that is my whole intention of having all of my waypoint's up front also. For when I'm alone or with some one else.

Bill I have my 522c built inn the console, so I can't swiuvile it around to see the graph. But if I have a partner he would use the console one. My conserne is if the ping's will interfear with each other or the echo's of the of each other. And having a transducer on my troller would sure get me a more accurate depth reading up front than my back one on the boat. I'm not consern to spend a little extra money and get a 522c-igps for the troller.

Ace and Bruce - I now understand. My 522 is mounted on the side of the console so I can see it from the front. Never thought about marking my waypoints while on the bow since I primarily fish Lake Anna and just cruise looking for locations. Only time I am anywhere else is in a TX and they are few and far between. Thanks for the insight!

Ace,

since both units are 200khz you may get soom interference. You can play with the sensivity and ping speed to minimize it.

Do you currently have a 520c with an external antenna in the dash? the reason i ask is if you do GregD gave you soem good advice. If you have a 520c you can buy annother 520c with no GPS puck and network the two together and save yourself some money. When you network the two together they share the lgc3000 antenna and when you make a waypoint on one it makes it on the other unit too. The other thing you can do is get the yellow ethernet cables and share transducers across the units. For instance you culd have both display the one of the tm if you want or the one in the back. If you do have a 520c you can get another one from three rivers marine electronics for ~450 with a tm transducer and you would need around $50 in cables to make the two share the lgc3000. the 522 is ~650 so you would save yourself $150 doing it that way.

Here is the problem with connecting the two. The 522IGPS has an internal GPS antenna. It is not NMEA 2000 supported so you can't link another unit to it and to use it's GPPs. If you don't actually have the internal GPS model and there is a LGC3000 puck on the console unit then you can link as mentioned above. I have a 28HD at the console with GPS. Up front I put a 520 that I bought from Cabela's without GPS for $449. I then linked the 2 with the supplied cables, T connectors, and terminators. I can set waypoints from either unit and they are stored on both as long as both are on. I don't have problems with interference between the 2 units but the transducers are 21' apart and I set them to different ping speeds. I don't think sharing sonar data other than depth readings are possible over the NMEA 2000 network. There is a way to do it with an expensive gizmo called a broadband sounder but it can't be done over the simpler networks.

NoCAL

I don't think sharing sonar data other than depth readings are possible over the NMEA 2000 network. There is a way to do it with an expensive gizmo called a broadband sounder but it can't be done over the simpler networks.

NoCAL,

You're partially right - not over the NMEA network, but it can be shared between two units via the ethernet port on the back of the units. If it's just two units and you want to share sonar data via one transducer, you can plug the two together with an ethernet cable and share the data. If you have more than two units (and I don't know why anyone would, unless you are on a large saltwater boat), you can buy the new "gizmo", but it's not the Broadband Sounder - that's something totally different. The "gizmo" you would need for that is the Navico Expansion Port - $150.00 at BPS and other places.

The other "gizmo" you mentioned - the Broadband Sounder, does a totally different job. It optimizes the signal with clearer echo returns. You get some great definition from the unit. One drawback - you have to know how to use your sonar. It's not a plug and play system. It's build for people (like me :) ) who operate their unit in manual mode, and manipulate it constantly for the best picture. You have to be in manual mode - in auto, it's basically useless. Without changing your sonar transducer, the signal is manipulated in such a way that it does out at 83kHZ, vice 50 or 200 that you would normally get with a Lowrance Unit. You can network it to all of your units by using the aforementioned Navico Expansion Port, but as it only has one port for output by itself, and that goes into the Ethernet connection on the unit it is connected to, it cannot be networked to another unit without the Navico Expansion Port.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back