Livewell Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Nevill

Reaction score
All,

I was fishing a tourney yesterday and my livewell pump quit. I have a 1998 640LX. The pump is a 500GPM. The switch work's, getting 12-16vdc from the switch in both positions. Hooked the pump to my bildge pump switch and it blows the fuse. Then I connected the pump to the battery direct and it does not run. So I'm thinking my pump is bad. I ran for about 4 hours yesterday than stopped.

Any other ideas before I get a new one? Second how does the pump come out. Looks like it snaps on the valve housing but not sure about that.

any help or advice would be great.

Dan

This lasted 9 yrs, not too bad. I take it you have a Mayfair? If you have the newer style that has tabs on top of it you are lucky, and you twist the cartridge, pull out clip, and then re-wire with the new one and replace. I had one of the older types, and the whole unit thru the hull had to be replaced......It is not all that bad, but a lot more work than the new style.

you might check to see if something is cloging it and then you could keep it on the boat as a spare, but since its 9 yrs old, i would replace it.

mike c

Hey Dan, You might have a small rock or something stuck in the impeller. I've had that before. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

That's why I went with the cartridge type...very easy to clean.

I had the same problem with my bilge. I had old fiberglass fibers stuck in the motor. Kept blowing a fuse. Replaced the pump and kept the old one as a spare. When I cleaned it out it looked like I brushed my dog and threw all the hair in the boat. They pop out real easy. Get a screwdriver and turn the motor. See if it is stuck if it turns real esay you may have another problem. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back