Knots...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Ok, now that I have started a stir about swivels, What kind of knots do you all use for what kind of line/application. I exclusivly use powerpro w/florocarbon leaders. I find that the "break" occurs in the clich knot at the bait...........

Discuss...

I find a palamor knot a real pain to tie with any line that is at all stiff (ie: 20 or 40 lb florocarbon). I cant get it to stay put when I make the second pass through the eye. It keeps dropping around the shank.

Second pass through the eye???

I put the doubled-over line (makes an open ended loop) through the eye, make a loop, go through the loop just made, over the hook. Pull tight. Done. But I don't use line that heavy, so I can't comment there.

Or are you referring to putting the single line through, and then coming back through to make the intial 'loop'.

Tex

Clinch on almost everything (sometimes palomar on topwaters)except braid, when I use a palomar. IN 10 years, my knot has broken twice, back-to-back on braid(!!). That's when I went to the palomar, and have had no trouble since.

Use Palomar on everything. Wet the knot before cinching it down especially if you use Flourocarbon.

A palomar is the only knot that will not slip on braided line. It is also the easiest to tie in my opinion. I understand what you mean about the second pass through the eye but have never found it to be a problem. Practice Practice. There are no shortcuts.

Harpo

Double thru 5 twist knot. Line will never break at the hook. Works great with spiderwire and other braided lines.

Just takes a few seconds more to tie.

Fool -

If you're talking about the same knot I use, it's about all I've used for 40+ years. Almost never a failure.

Recently, I have been trying to tie the palamor as well just because almost everyone here uses it. I run into the same problem as Wookie.

me!

Fool...

Is that the same as "buchers" not ???

knot.gif

Simmy -

That is basically the knot I use except.....

I don't double the line.

After #3, I run the tag end through the loop created in #3.

Then wet with saliva and pull tight.

me!

me!

The knot you describe is the "improved clinch" (the improvement is running the tag back thru the loop)...

And is the knot I tie 95% of the time...

Does anybody use a Rapala knot for there crankbaits and stickbaits.....

I was going to try this knot out...but I wanted to know of any disadvantages to this knot.....

I have been using that... it allows for maximum lure movement...

hmmmm...

Granny knot in the main line, tag thru the eye, tag back thru the granny 3-4 times, pull tight...

You can then "adjust" the loop and clip the tag end.

let's see if I can find a picture

new knot that gives lures a "free swinging" action. This non-slipping loop knot is simple to tie because it combines two well known knots, the simple overhand and the popular improved clinch.

Start by tying the overhand knot some 4 to 6 inches above the end of your line, running the tag end through the eye and then through the loop formed by the untightened overhand knot. The eye loop should represent the final loop you wish to leave for your Rapala. hold the loose knot and line at this point so the loop size will not change.

Next, using your free hand, make 5 turns of the tag end around the standing line and bring the end back through the loop of the overhand knot, which still hasn't been tightened. Be sure to make 5 turns to guarantee the strength of the knot.

After you've taken the tag end back up under the bend formed in tying the Improved Clinch (3), pull both the end and the standing line simultaneously, being careful to maintain the desired eye loop size. When you feel that the overhand knot has tightened completely, keep the standing line taut while you continue to pull on the tag end. Pull down into a neat barrel, with the coils gathered neatly. Do not nick the line with your fingernails!

Here is how the finished knot should appear when fully tightened and the end snipped off to 1/8 inch. The Brubaker Lure Loop Knot will give your Rapala free play and exaggerates the lure's life-like swimming action.

brbkr.gif

"overhand knot" is just a "granny knot".. (rabbit goes thru the hole)...

Palomar. I use it on all types of line -braids, mono, flourocarbon, and all types of baits. Zero knot failures.

Back