Kicker Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don B

Reaction score
I guess I have a question of sorts. I have a 2001 Tracker 185XT Jet. I am going to put a kicker motor on it for slow-trolling lakes and the deeper/slower river areas. I think my boat weighs around 1500-1700 lbs.

I had originally planned to put a Mercury 6hp 4-stroke on it for a kicker. I thought that it should be fine to slow-troll me at about 1-3mph with ease all day, but a dealer told me that I would need a 9.9 for that, or I'd have to run the 6hp screamin' at WOT, just to troll my boat like that.....????

I have a MinnKota 80AP trolling motor on it that I can cruise around with at that speed, and it's not even close to 1hp.

Who's done this to their Tracker of similar size(18 ft.)? How's it perform, and what size motor did you use? Will the 6hp troll me fine without running it at max/WOT, or do I really need to get the 9.9 if I expect to troll around at low rpms, achieving some stealth?

My friend uses a 6hp Nissan to troll an 18 Deep V Polar Kraft with a 90hp Yamaha. So,l I am quite sure that the motor will work fine. But, why not try it clamped to the transom?

A 6 horse should work fine...that dealer was lookin' at making $:wacko:

To Greg: I will install whichever size motor on the transom myself with a Garelick motor brackett. The MinnKota AP is my electric trolling motor mounted on the bow. Does your friend have to run it at max rpms to troll, or does it move the boat around pretty easily?

To TEE: There is a difference in the price(not my primary concern), and a difference in the weight of about 30 lbs(more important to me). Most important to me is noise level underwater, which will be higher if I have to run it at max rpms. Will the 6hp give me 1-3 mph at about 1/2 throttle?

A 185 with a 9.9 would almost plane if you wanted it to.

You could get the same resuslts with a 6hp at low(er than 1/2 throttle) RPM.

A lot of what you will find regardingb throttle speed and boat control as well as rpms is dependent on the prop.

My 15hp kick with a 7 pitch prop pushes my boat (19') at .4-.6 at idle...(no steerage) and at .8 with adequate steerage (thrust, for boat control) and at full WOT 5mph...

Like I said, if I were you I would mount that bracket and strap that 6hp on and try it out.

Rob, the 6hp Nissan on 17.5' Polar Kraft says his trolls at 1.5-2.0 at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but I have no idea what prop he has (neither did he...LOL)

Thank you for all replies. The information has been very helpful to me. I think I will go with what I originally intended...the Mercury 6 hp.

Thanks to all who replied.

Don

My 9.9 pushes my 17 foot Tournament V at 12 mph wide open. I would think the 6 should be fine.

Back