Info for Michigan Bass Fisherman

• Thread starter Andrew Zuber [URL]http://www.michiganbassanglers.c
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Michigan folks-

I attended the informational meeting last night in Kalamazoo (D&R Sports) relative to the proposed changes to the Bass Fishing season in Michigan.

The meeting was to inform people about the organized effort underway to prevent the DNR from further limiting bass fishing in Michigan.

The organizers circulated petitions and asked atendees to take additional petitions home with them to show support for their position.

They do not support any of the 7 proposals the DNR has submitted, but rather have compliled their own proposal - proposal 8 they're calling it.

Basically it calls for Closed Season from January 1 through March 31, then Catch and Release from April 1 to Memorial Day Weekend, then open season until December 31.

Overall, their stance is: Do not change our existing opening day, and give us more, not less, bass fishing opportunities.

They also stated that the Michigan United Conservation Club (MUCC) is also in favor of a proposal other than what the DNR has suggested. MUCC carries a lot of weight in the State and generally will sway the opinion of the DNR.

Public Comment meetings have been scheduled with the DNR. You can get more info on this topic, printable petitions with instructions, and a list of the upcoming meetings at the attached link.

az
http://www.michiganbassanglers.com

Boy...That's for sure a "double edged" sword there Andy!

Good and Bad on both sides:(

We've got basically the smae thing going on here in New York State. There's a bill in front of Pataki which if signed will give the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) the authority to set catch and release seasons on any body of water in N.Y.S. The N.Y.S. Bass Federation is pushing to increase bass fishing oppurtunities in N.Y.S.

No offense Ken but, in my honest opinion, smallmouth should never be taken off the nest...especially with the goby problem. Just opinion here and nuthin' else:)

And I'm not sayin' I haven't caught a few off of the nest(not intetional)...

Craig/Mac/Mini/Marke/Gene/others:

Anyone going to go to any of the DNR Meetings?

The closest to me will be at Three Rivers...

I'd like to go and see what is said...

Gene?

az

Depends on my schedule at the time,....would like to attend but I feel very comfortable with the "representation" we have too....so I'll wait and see.

I'm with Mac...the issue has been discussed at length on other local boards here, and the folks representing us are very competent.

It's true that Anthony and Dan are strong representatives but two guys can do it alone. There is strength in numbers and our presence at these meetings will show that we are serious.

I'm still hoping for the bass boat convoy to Lansing....LOL

Imagine the traffic jam we could cause. Shutting down the capitol for a day would be AWESOME!!!!

I agree with Marke. We can't let a couple of guys do this alone. We need LARGE #'s of fishermen to show up at these public meetings and let the bureaucrats in Lansing know how we feel. If we took that attitude into the CCW issue or the Dove Hunt bill, Michigan Sportsmen would have LOST. I plan on being at one or more of the public hearings. Let me know if you want to carpool, Partner.

Craig

Marke and Craig,

You're right....I will be there if at all possible.

You know what else guys?

The DNR has scheduled MANY of the meetings on the same night...so 1 or 2 'spokespersons' could not make it to all the meetings...

Pretty sneaky...

az

I may go if time allows. I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now. Let me know who's going where and I'll see if I can make it. I can't believe there's not one in Lansing. It's the state capitol fer cryin out loud.

Gene

hard to believe, but true Gene!

Here's the list:

Aug. 2: 7 p.m., Newaygo County Sportsmans Club, 7951 Elm Avenue (just north of M 82), Newaygo

Aug. 3: 7 p.m., Cadillac Junior High School Cafeteria, 500 Chestnut Street, Cadillac

Aug. 4: 7 p.m., Traverse City Civic Center, 1213 West Civic Center Drive, Traverse City

Aug. 5: 7 p.m., Gander Mountain, 43825 West Oaks, Novi

Aug. 10: Walli's East Motor Lodge, G-1341 South Center Rd, Flint

Aug. 10: 7 p.m., Escanaba Civic Center, 225 N. 21st St., Escanaba

Aug. 10: 7 p.m., Charlevoix High School, library room

Aug. 11: 7:30 p.m., Jackson County Outdoor Club, 3550 Hart Road, Jackson

Aug. 12, 7:30 p.m., Caledonia Sports Club, 10721 Coldwater SE, Middleville

Aug. 17: 7 p.m., Great Lakes Grill Conference Center, 817 E. State St., Cheboygan

Aug. 17: 7 p.m., Bay City State Park, near Bay City

Aug. 18: 7 p.m., Best Western, M 32, Gaylord

Aug. 18: 7 p.m., Chesterfield Twp., 47275 Sugarbush, Chesterfield

Aug. 18: 6 p.m., Dickinson County Library Conference Room, Iron Mountain

Aug. 18: 7:30 p.m., Three Rivers Community Center, 103 South Douglas Ave, Three Rivers

Aug. 19: 7 p.m., Van Buren Township Hall, 46425 Tyler Road, Belleville,

Aug. 19: 7 p.m., Days Inn, 1496 M 32 West, Alpena

Aug. 20: 7 p.m., Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare

Aug. 23: 8 p.m., Tahquamenon Area Sportsmen's Clubhouse

Aug. 24: 7 p.m., MSU Extension Office, 1040 S. Winter St., River Raisin Room, Adrian

Aug. 24: 7 p.m. (EST), Negaunee Township Hall, 43 M 35, Negaunee

Aug. 25: 7 pm (CST), Gogebic Comm. College, Solin Center, Room B 2, Ironwood

Aug. 31: 7 p.m., Manistique Courthouse, Manistique

The only 2 cities I recognize are Flint & Novi. Craig/Mac/Neeley, I'm relying on you to tell me which ones are "local".

I can't go to Novi on the 5th because my dad is flying in from NH that afternoon.

August 10 in Flint does not have time???? I can go on the 10th if it is at night like the rest of them. I'll drive. Neeley, you can navigate. EVERY time Craig navigates, we get lost...LOL

Not EVERY time, just some times! LOL I know exactly where the Flint meeting is. Been there for the seafood buffet a couple times. Chesterfield is about 25 minutes from you, Marke. But I'm not sure where that address is. The Bellville one is just west of Metro Airport. And the Bay City meeting is about an hour .15 north. I believe off the Wilder Rd. exit.

Craig

I've already got some circulating....

thanks Craig...it is a good idea!

az

Hey Marke & Ken, I'm off tomorrow and if it's OK with Tom, I might hang out at BPS and collect some petition signatures. You got a few hours to spare?

Craig

Back