I have a dilemma

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe Smith2

Reaction score
Ok I stopped by a dealer today to look at a new 882 with a 150. I like the set up and cant afford to jump up to a bigger boat. Well the price is 18k w/xr6, 21,700 for EFI and 24k for opti. As im getting ready to leave a guy pulls up to pick up his boat which was in for service. I ask him how he likes his Nitro. He says that he really likes it and he fishes for the dealer. He says that he had to have his motor worked on because the top end locked up. H e said that the motor was under waranty so they replaced to top half of the motor. Then he says that if your looking for a boat im selling this one because my new boat is in. He says that he will sell this boat for 23k. His boat is a 2002 929DC with a 225 opti. THe motor has 3 yrs left on the warranty. I couldnt find any scratches on the hull of the boat and it looked like it was in very good shape. It has new batteries this year and has most any thing I would need. I would think ,maybe wrongly, that if he is representing the dealership that his boat should be taken care fairly well. Anyway Im not looking for you to make my decision for me im just looking for your gut feelings on soemthing like this. The only complaint he said that he had was that the rod lockers would leak if you were in a real down pour but not in a light rain. It just happens to be in the color I was looking at. Thanks for your help and letting me ramble. This will be my first boat other than a john boat so Im trying to research this as well as I can.

Joe

Joe,

I think that you've already answered your question. Arrange an 'on the water' test drive with the owner. Get him to walk you through the paces.

If it's got the warranty and all, is the color you want, etc.; then . . . .

Best of luck.

Just remember, when you drive that 882 off the showroom floor, it's value drops by about $5K.

Tex

K9,

Save yourself some money and look at the 929 Toxic has for sale in the Swap & Sell. I KNOW that boat has been taken care of.

Bill

The real question is -Can you get the extra moneys worth out of a 929 with a 225 opti?

The biggest lake I normally fish on is about 20 miles long,once and awhile I fish bigger lakes,and some times I fish smaller lakes.

90% of the time a 882 with a 150 would be plenty of boat for the lakes I fish.It would be nice to have a bigger,faster boat,but would I personally get any benifits out of a bigger boat?..No

If you mainly fish a lake that is 100 miles long and 10 miles wide,then by all means get the big boy.

Just my $.02

Thats a steal dude! Also do keep in touch with the guy that is selling it but just make sure to ask a ton of question. Also like Bill said check out Tox's boat for sale in the swap and sell.

If you dont need the bigger boat because of the size of water you fish stick with the 882 and the 150.

Before you choose the size of the boat think about these things---

1) How many people will you have fishing with you on a normal trip.

2)What size of water are you fishing.

3)Most importanly Price and if you think you will get your money's worth out of the rig if you buy brand new. The reason I say this is because if you decide you do not like it in 2-3 years well you are out that original hit you take when you buy brand new.

T.S.

thanks for the advice, I live in Missouri so I have a lot of lakes in all sizes. Yes I could use the bigger boat sometimes and other times the 882 would be fine. I think ,I know better, that this will be my only boat purchase so the thought is i'm purchasing for keeps. again thanks.

I wouldnt say that this will be your only boat because well you just "Get the itch" to get something bigger and better. It happens to every bass fisherman and hunter.

Anywho go with your gut instinct.

T.S.

I have a chevy trailblazer that has a towing capacity of 5500lbs. The 929 pkg weight is 3300lbs. So with a full tank of gas and my equipment I should be under an additional 1000lbs which would be 4300lbs so I think im ok.

Easy choice the 929!!!! You will always want a bigger badder boat it is a Bass Fisherman's nature!!

I have went through three in six years and want a new bigger badder bad!!!

Mark

If it were me........I would go with an older cheaper 929 (there have been no hull changes) just to see if I liked the boat and then if I had to sell, I wouldn't have as much wrapped up in it. The 9 you are looking at is at or a little above market but you didn't say what the electronics are. Having a powerhead go out in a year old boat could or could not be an indication of how it was run. That was the problem with the opti's. I'm not pushing my rig because if it doesn't sell, I'm just gonna pay it off and run it a couple of more years. My State Team slot is always gonna be there (it outta be for as many boats as I've sold for my dealer). For your first bigger glass boat I would go used just to get a feel for the glass performance. Mine has a 225 EFI, turns over 1st time every time and runs like a galded goat. Of course mine is also a 2000 and has more wear than a 2003. All that being said, you will like the fishability of the 9.

Thanks for watching my back Bill, LOL.

TOXIC

K9 -

I'm in the St. Louis area; I assume you were at The Fishin' Hole. I know that one of their State Team Members (or used to be) is the Service Manager at the Dodge dealership on Manchester in Ballwin. (Can't think of the dealership name.) If he's the one you're talking to, I can pretty well bet that he took excellent care of his boat.

The Fishin' Hole is VERY selective of their Team Members.

Steve, the Service Manager at The Fishin' Hole is Exceptional! You won't have any problem with any of the work he's done!

I bought my first Nitro (a 1995 Nitro 180/115 Merc) from The Fishin' Hole. It was great on almost any lake and the Mississippi River around Missouri - EXCEPT Lake of the Ozarks. If you go down there often, you will want the 929.

Carlyle over here in Illinois can also be a bit much for an 18-footer when the wind starts whipping the white caps as there really aren't any coves on the lake, you've got to fish the main body.

I got to fish from a 929 a few years back with Rich Stern - Tracker let him borrow Stacey King's old boat for our first Rally at Truman. There is no way in the world to compare the difference in fishability and ride of the 929 vs the 882..... The 929 is an aircraft carrier! (And will carry just about as many people!) We towed it with my 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, automatic; easily maintained 60 mph up and down the Ozark hills!

That price on the 929 is a good one!

If I were to buy a boat today, it would likely be an 882 with an Opti. I'd go with the Opti simply for fuel economy reasons; the XR6 is a time-proven, solid-as-a-rock motor. The 882 does have all the fishability and ride that the average person ever needs; unlike the pro's, you don't HAVE to go out on the lakes in any kind of weather and you can chose your lake depending on conditions. It is MUCH easier to tow; you won't damage nearly as many gas pumps! (Get brakes on the trailer.) It will fit in almost any garage. When it comes time to sell it, there are more people in the market for an 18-footer than a 21.

Good luck in you decission!

me!

(Tell 'em Staci Matheis says "Hi!")

That is a great deal if everything checks out. (How about electronics and TM?) You can't go wrong with a 929. I've had several and never had one let me down yet! It is the best boat ride in rough water and still runs out strong on top in calmer conditions. IMHO

Another thing to consider is a 929 is usually a LOT easier to sell in the future.

Update...

motorguide 67lb

lowrance x65

zercom flasher

keel guard

on board battery charger

trailer tie downs

10"jack plate adjustable

spare tire

Im going to go see the boat on the water and was looking for some questions to ask . Just want to make sure I get all the questions that I might forget. Im making a list to take with me. Again thank you for all your help. Toxic that is a really nice boat but I really like the idea of the warranty that is left on this motor, and he is right here. VA is a ways from st louis, but if this doesnt look right or work out VA is not out of the question.

K9, NOT bashing here, but be sure to pull out the drop in storage compartment liners and look at the fiberglass sectioin behind the seats for cracking, splitting or delamination. It's not hard to repair, but may help you negotiate the price down a little. If it is there, get it fixed immediately or have the owner do it prior to the purchase. Also, double up on the number of screws holding the cap to the hull in the rubrail and put silicone on them when you do so they don't vibrate out with long runs.

Then, fill er up (for a small fortune) and enjoy. They are NICE riding boats and have a front deck you could land a Huey on!

Back