how to trim?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
I just purchased a 750 DC Nitro with a mercury 125 engine. I am new to boating and not familiar with properly adjusting the trim. Tell me if I have it right.

1. When starting off (holeshot) giver her all she's got with the motor all the way down.

2. When the boat planes out, raise the motor until proper RPM's (5500?)?

I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and of course, safely!

I haven't driven that hull, but many boats can be trimmed while coming up out of the hole. As soon as the boat starts planing out, you can use the trim to pull the bow a little further out of the water and it seems to help total planing speed. Some hulls don't like that maneuver as you'll lose a visual on the water because it goes so nose-high.

Sounds good to me, but I would take it easy during the break in period (Assuming that it's a new motor)......

If not, LET 'ER RIP!!!!!!!!!

You and your motor will become one with time on the water. You will be able to adjust by the sound of the motor and the feel in the wheel. ;)

If I remember right, someone on here recently stated that it is best to slowly trim your motor up once you get on plane. You shouldnt just trim it up quickly from the start, little shots of trim will work best if youre trying to get top speed.

I dont remember who it was but maybe theyll chime in here in a little bit.

Have fun with the new boat.

Josh

Mid MO Nitro is right to some extent, and it depends on the motor/boat combo. Once you start comming out of the hole (getting onto plane) you can start SLOWLY trimming her out. Its REAL easy to know when you over trim coming out of the hole, I KNOW!!! You will watch your RPMs SHOOT up and hear the prop slipping/pulling out of the water!! LOL

Get a whale tail for it. It makes it much easier to run around at half throttle, allows you to be way off on the trim position and still keep control of the boat. You can also run at twenty to twenty five mph with out the boat popping on you.

Joel

Back